The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

brothers killed in world war I

Emma E

Hi everyone

I am new to the site, I am researching my grandma's four brothers who were killed in world war 1

George Robinson private 6470 died 25/12/1914 buried Dranoutre cemetery

William Robinson bombardier 283361 died 6/10/1917 William was the father of the Manchester boxer Alf Robinson

Also Joseph Robinson born 1886

Arthur Robinson born 1891 Both brothers were born in the Collyhurst area of Manchester and lived in Lathbury Road Harpurhey before they were married and joined up.

any information would be appreciated

Emme E

Emma

Here two of the resting places taken from the War Graves website: George:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=453741 and William:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=99601

Sotonmate

Emma

The other two brothers have too many namesakes to ID them without your input. Do you have any more numbers or regimental clues ?

Sotonmate

Welcome to the Forum, Emma.

One good source of information (assuming you are local to Manchester) will be the newspaper archive at Central Library. It seesm to me possible that one of the papers would have mentioned about four brothers being killed. I'd look for a mention of the 1917 death and see if there's reference to any of the other brothers. This is likely to be the easiest way of making an identification of Arthur & Joseph.

With regard to George, he will have been a regualr soldier or a reservist called back to the army when war was declared. I understand he died of wounds he'd received, rather than being killed outright and his burial place tends to confirm this as the cemetery was used by the Field Ambulance which maintained a dressing station at Dranouter. His death so close to the front line suggests he was probably fatally wounded on either Christmas Day or, more probably, Christmas Eve. The Battalion had taken over trenches from a battalion of the Bedfordshires on Xmas Eve and a couple of men were killed, probably by shellfire. There was hard frost which continued into Xmas Day.

John

Welcome to the Forum, Emma.

One good source of information (assuming you are local to Manchester) will be the newspaper archive at Central Library. It seesm to me possible that one of the papers would have mentioned about four brothers being killed. I'd look for a mention of the 1917 death and see if there's reference to any of the other brothers. This is likely to be the easiest way of making an identification of Arthur & Joseph.

With regard to George, he will have been a regualr soldier or a reservist called back to the army when war was declared. I understand he died of wounds he'd received, rather than being killed outright and his burial place tends to confirm this as the cemetery was used by the Field Ambulance which maintained a dressing station at Dranouter. His death so close to the front line suggests he was probably fatally wounded on either Christmas Day or, more probably, Christmas Eve. The Battalion had taken over trenches from a battalion of the Bedfordshires on Xmas Eve and a couple of men were killed, probably by shellfire. There was hard frost which continued into Xmas Day.

John

John

Thank you for the information, I was wondering why he was buried at Dranoutre. I have a relative living in Australia, she is George's granddaughter she will be delighted to have all this detail.

Thanks

Emma

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the information so far at the moment I am concentrating on William Robinson bombadier 283361 177th Siege battery Royal Garrison Artillery died 6th October1917. buried Ypre Reservoir cemetery grave ref I. E.81. can any one fill me in on their movements after landing in France. Also is there a photo of his grave on record.

Robinson

• 5 months later...
Hi everyone

I am new to the site, I am researching my grandma's four brothers who were killed in world war 1

William Robinson bombardier 283361 died 6/10/1917 William was the father of the Manchester boxer Alf Robinson

Arthur Robinson born 1891 Both brothers were born in the Collyhurst area of Manchester and lived in Lathbury Road Harpurhey before they were married and joined up.

Emme E

Hi everyone

Emme E

I can take a photo of the Robinson grave in Dranouter cemetry when I am there in September if you don't have one

Joan