Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Merchandise

Andrew P

It always amazes me what people buy. Recently on ebay they sold two tiny bags of soil from Isandhlwana and Rorkes Drift for £16.50. On trips to Gallipoli I have often seen people gathering sand from the beaches, hopefully not for resale though. I cannot really see any harm done, and if people out there really want to buy this stuff, good luck to them. Another way of keeping the memory alive!

• 2 weeks later...

The picture below shows the NZ High Commissioner to Australia with a box of Gallipoli soil which is about to be buried beneath the site of the New Zealand memorial in Canberra. My point in showing this is that if this [soil or sand] is what governments find significant and symbolic, then we can hardly be surprised if the general public places a similar value on it too.

I read the LH forum posts and noted that from the RSL member where it was pointed out that some funds for the RSL would be raised by this venture. Again it’s hard to argue with that; let’s hope these funds are put to good use.

This has also served to remind me of a lovely story from ‘The Gallipolian’ No.93 Autumn 2000, which described the pilgrimage of Stanley Blenkinsop to the grave of John Simpson Kirkpatrick. Mr. Blenkinsop brought with him some sand from the Herd Beach, South Shields, which he scattered on Simpson’s grave. The Herd Beach was where the 10 year old Simpson had first learned to handle and lead a donkey. As a final touch, the sand was poured onto the grave from a milk bottle; a reminder of Jack’s first job after leaving school, delivering milk from a horse-drawn cart.

We each must choose to remember in our own way and if some people find that a little bottle of sand helps them, then………………………..

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-5-1082140457.jpg