Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

G Maddock R.F.A

julietil

Hello

Please can anyone help me. I am trying to trace my Great Grandfather known as George Maddock and I have attached his Army Medal Record. On his Marriage certificate he is named as Alfred George Maddock aged 24 (he married my Great Grandmother on 23/4/1921) he was 24 years old. so born in the year 1896/7 I have searched for his service record and pension record but I can't find anything at all. I am trying to trace his actual date of birth so I can trace his parents etc and continue my family tree.

I think he was born in Devon (he married at the Registry Office in Plymouth to Winifred Chapman) his father was a Gold Miner (working in Australia,on his marriage certificate his father's name is also Alfred George Maddock).

If anyone could help me with a date of birth I would be so grateful. Also any interpretation of him medal record would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Jules

post-44101-1235727270.jpg

Hello There,

Others on the forum will be able to find much more than I can, but his MIC shows he was wounded SWB (Silver War Badge) which is likely to mean that he was discharged before the end of the war, with the list number RA/ 3046 The National Archives will have further details I beleive if you search WO 329 or there abouts.

G. Maddock Royal Field Artillery 171078

Medals awarded as Victory Medal & British War Medal.

I hope this helps if not someone will put you on the right tracks.

Regards

Hello

Please can anyone help me. I am trying to trace my Great Grandfather known as George Maddock and I have attached his Army Medal Record. On his Marriage certificate he is named as Alfred George Maddock aged 24 (he married my Great Grandmother on 23/4/1921) he was 24 years old. so born in the year 1896/7 I have searched for his service record and pension record but I can't find anything at all. I am trying to trace his actual date of birth so I can trace his parents etc and continue my family tree.

I think he was born in Devon (he married at the Registry Office in Plymouth to Winifred Chapman) his father was a Gold Miner (working in Australia,on his marriage certificate his father's name is also Alfred George Maddock).

If anyone could help me with a date of birth I would be so grateful. Also any interpretation of him medal record would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Jules

Hi Jules

Could this be your Alfred in Devonport in 1901?

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/my...ddocks/madd.jpg

You could also try FreeBMD where there are 2 Births fo Alfred George Mattock Ref Sep1896 Plympton 5b/203 and 5b/206

Andy

Hi Jules

Could this be your Alfred in Devonport in 1901?

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/my...ddocks/madd.jpg

You could also try FreeBMD where there are 2 Births fo Alfred George Mattock Ref Sep1896 Plympton 5b/203 and 5b/206

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for this.. I also found these two records, I guess I will have to buy both Birth Certs.. (problem is I still wouldn't really no which one is right or not). I can't access the link to the photo as my web browser blocks it. I will have to try on my home PC later)

Thanks for your help.. I really appreciate it.

Jules

Hi Jules

Perhaps it isn't the correct one after all.

Alfred G's mother says she is a widow on the 1901 Census of PennyCross, Devonport, and his father was reputed to be in Australia in 1921.

post-16373-1235754779.jpg

Andy

Hi Jules

Perhaps it isn't the correct one after all.

Alfred G's mother says she is a widow on the 1901 Census of PennyCross, Devonport, and his father was reputed to be in Australia in 1921.

post-16373-1235754779.jpg

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for this, I thought this was him also. But when I went back to the census of 1881 mum Emily T is married to a different Maddock (Andrew Maddock), On the wedding cert George Maddock's father is named as Alfred George Maddock - Gold Miner etc...

I have been searching this for months and months now, I even have a photo of him and now his Medal record and Birth certificate and then he appears to vanish into thin air, like where he came from.. (complete mystery).

Thanks for all your help though.....

Jules