Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo's lost and found

Susan Horton

There are many of us who have missing photographs of our WW1 relatives.

Is there a lost and found type web site where we could view these or add photographs?

If not is there anyone willing to start such a site?

Could there be a site attached to this forum?

Sue

Sue

There is something here where a member does look-ups (or used to !) in the eight fat volumes of the bound periodical "The War Illustrated" for the many casualties/medal winners etc shown.

The other thing is that we all have pics but don't know who they are ! Even if they were a relative,which is sad.

Sotonmate

Sue and Sotonmate,

As Alice Cooper says, "Welcome to my nightmare"...I have a bonafide brick of late 19th-early 20th century family photos which are unlabeled, and everyone who knew who the people are is long dead. That does not mean I won't preserve them anyway, but it is frustrating as hell. I am now a compulsive photo labeler.

I second the motion for a 'lost' WW1 photo archive. Of course, what happens if someone pays for a period photo, posts it to the site, and the 'relative' comes out of the woodwork and wants the original photo back? Discuss!

:)

-Daniel

Answer to a relative wanting a period photo back.

To be fair the collector has paid some money for it and so they would be entitled to renumeration if they agreed to let the relative have it.

It could be done two ways.

1. The relative pays for the original (if it were for sale).

2. An original is still just an image and so the relative would treasure a digital copy just as much, I certainly would. I believe that providing that it was understood that the collector has no obligation to part with the original unless they wanted to then there should not be a problem.

3. There should be an agreement tho, that when a relative identifies a picture, they would at least be entitled to a digital copy.

Miracles happen!

I introduced a friend to the forum not long after I joined. Fiona was researching a sailor Billingsley, a relative on her mums side. A wonderful lady had actually bought a picture of him on Ebay, his name was on the back and this very thoughtful lady recognised the name, contacted Fiona on the forum has offered it to her. I was just as exited as Fiona.

Sue

Hello Daniel,

I know what you mean, I have one naval picture of a relative, I don't know who he is, my mum (dead now) called him uncle George. can't find any uncle Georges on Ancestry. Maybe I should post the pic of him at least someone will identify the uniform etc.

Sue

Hello Daniel,

I know what you mean, I have one naval picture of a relative, I don't know who he is, my mum (dead now) called him uncle George. can't find any uncle Georges on Ancestry. Maybe I should post the pic of him at least someone will identify the uniform etc.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I would second your idea of posting the picture...through the kind assistance of fellow form members you may well narrow the search down to a specific unit and that may lead you to your fellow.

Good luck (and great story, BTW)!

-Daniel