Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment

Guest john624

Could anybody please tell me by which name the Border Regiment now go under as i have been reading about the Lonsdale Btn who went over the top 1st July 1916 any information on the subject would be most welcome

John624

I'm not sure, but I think they merged/became the King's Own Royal Border Regiment in the 1950's.

Anyone else out there able to confirm (deny) this?

Les

Your right Les , this is from the Regiments website.

The King's Own Royal Border Regiment is the heir and successor of three former Regiments, namely the 4th King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) raised on the 13th July 1680, the 34th Cumberland Regiment, raised in 1702 and the 55th Westmorland Regiment, raised in 1755. The 34th and 55th amallgamated to become The Border Regiment in 1881. On the 1st October 1959, The King's Own Royal Border Regiment came into being when The King's Own Royal Regiment amalgamated with The Border Regiment at Barnard Castle, North Yorkshire.

However I thought Barnard Castle has always been in County Durham, unless anyone knows different.

Roger.

Dear John624

The information about the current identity of the Border Regiment is correct (although I have difficulty keeping up with the modern British Army I must admit!) but you may be interested to know of their regimental museum which is at:

Border Regiment and King's Own Royal Border Regiment Museum, Queen Mary's Tower, The Castle, Cumbria, CA3 8UR.

(Source: Regiments and Corps of the British Army, Hallows, I.S, London, 1994.)

The custodian is Stuart Eastwood who has been extremely helpful to me in the past. The Museum itself is well worth a look and Stuart did a very interesting talk on the Lonsdales at the Northumberland WFA recently so he is your man.

Regards

Alastair