Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Picture

Raster Scanning

The caption on this picture reads "Medical unit building hospital on + Beach Gallipolli (sic) 1915.

With the complements of J K Jones to W J Cuthbert"

Could the + be an X, making it X Beach? Can someone confirm that this is X beach by the background cliffs?

If so which hospital was on the beach?

Thanks in advance.

John.

post-5-1080378409.jpg

There are chalk rocks in the picture which is a feature that can be seen at X or W beaches. The Hill on the right side of the picture is most probably Krithia. Probably the late stages of the battle since they were able to build a hospital just behind the coastal cliffs. It cant be W beach though since in that sector elevation is gradually increasing while the X beach sector has such elevation changes. So yes, most probably it is the heights dominating the X beach.

Ozgur

Guest stevenbec

Jesus,

The beleived the beaches at Anzac were bad, but I never saw this beach where they dropped the British.

Its a wonder any poor ******* got off the thing. What a killing field.

A MG on the point would kill any thing that moved.

Compared to the Yanks on Omaha beach they got it easy.

S.B

Thanks to our Turkish members for their help on this, Ozgur I enjoyed your Website.

Can anyone tell me what hospital this may have been on X Beach.

Thanks.

John.

Steve.

Luckily the resistance at X Beach was negligable as the defenders considered the steepness of the cliffs to be a sufficient deterrent. Although there were well prepaired defensive positions, they were very lightly manned. With the aid of HMS Implacable the 2nd Royal Fusiliers took them quite easily.

John.

Thanks to our Turkish members for their help on this, Ozgur I enjoyed your Website.

Can anyone tell me what hospital this may have been on X Beach.

Thanks.

John.

John,

Frankly, it's another Turkish Fella Aziz's site. I thought forum members would have liked to check it.

Regards

Ozgur

This is a photo showing winter dugouts being constructed on Officers' Walk at X Beach, probably late October to November 1915. I believe the 2nd and 3rd Field Ambulance (later to become 'X Beach Field Ambulance' after their amalgamation) were based here.

Do you have any more related photographs? :D

Sorry Krithia.

Nothing else related, it was an Ebay purchase.

I do have a couple of other Gallipoli pictures though, like this one that I know nothing at all about.

post-5-1080783981.jpg

KaaN,

do you have a similar photo of Anzac Cove?

christine

Looks nothing at all like the Helles area to me. More like Suvla.

well, if Suvla area is on the table I must say the shape of the heights on the background more resembles to Anafarta Heights dominating the Salt Lake. I am planning to visit Gallipoli this or next month. I will try to find the area and take photoes of it.

KaaN,

do you have a similar photo of Anzac Cove?

christine

Hello christine,

Not mine but the Anzac Cove today;

Gallipoli--Anzac_Cove_norh.jpg

Regards!

Kaan

Thanks to all for your help on this.

Osgur.

If you can identify the location that would be excellent. Can I ask one more favour of you or KaaN?

My Gt Uncle served at Gallipoli. His diary is available here. The picture was taken on December 18th 1915 and I assume he was above ANZAC cove. Can you confirm this?

Thanks again.

John.

John,

the picture is too small to analyze in detail and I am not sure it is Anzac sector or not but I dont think it is the beach Anzacs landed. The beach doesnt have such an elevation and it has much sharper cliffs.

Ozgur

Thanks Ozgur.

I often have wondered if the pier in the background is Williams Pier from which he was evacuated 2 days later.

Cheers.

Raster,

The photo of the British group in shirt-sleeve order could be Gully Ravine on the western side of helles, taken with the camera pointing from inside the ravine, towards the sea, near Gully beach. I don't think its Suvla, but without more clues/distinct landmarks its hard to be 100% sure. I'll plumb for the Gully though!

Many thanks to all who have helped.

John.