Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Air Photo

Jack Sheldon

post-6447-1235671001.jpg

Locating the subject of aerial photos seems to be a popular activity. Anybody like to suggest where this is and, to make it more interesting, what is the latest date it could have been taken and why?

Jack

It shows Beaumont-Hamel, plus Y Ravine, Redan and Hawthorn Ridges. The photo was taken prior to 1st July, as no Hawthorn Crater. In fact, the trench that connected the lower part of the redoubt with the northern part of the trenches at the Y Ravine is not showing, so I would estimate it is prior to May 1916.

Spot on, of course Paul. I posted it for two reasons. The first is that if I can lay my hands on it, I have a good shot of the crater from the air, the second is to show why the German defenders referred to the Hawthorn Ridge part of the line as Die Zange - The pliers. The section that the British called Hawthorn Redoubt (though that is not a description that the Germans would have felt justified because it was not dug for all round defence like the various Festen and they regarded it as especially vulnerable)was known as the 'Right hand branch of the pliers'

Jack