Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl James Devennie Royal Scots s/n13254

billy201

Hi there I am trying to find L/Cpl James Devennie s/n13254 13th bn Royal Scots. He was killed on the9/3/1918. I would like to find out where he was born, and where he enlisted, ant other details that I can find out , thanking you, all the best yours Inniskilling. :D

Hi

All sources point to him as initially with the 13th Royal Scots as Lance Corporal 13254. He was then transferred to the Labour Corps, 465th Agricultural Coy as Lance Corporal 483837.

SDGW has:

Born: Kelly Kergan, Co. Londonderry

Enlisted: Bramshott, Hants

Residence: Glasgow

Died date: 09/03/1918

Died how: Died

Theatre of war: Home

Medal card states he entered his theatre of war 09/07/1915, (1) France. 1914-1915 Star, BWM & VM.

Regards

LIT

There are both pension and service records for this man on Ancestry. They differ slightly on info:

WO 364 [5 pages]

Born: Coleraine, 1880

Employment: Labourer

Age on enlistment: 34 years 45 days

Marital status: Single

Place of enlistment: Glasgow, 31st August 1914

Pte 13254, 13th Royal Scots

Discharged under King’s Regulations 392 (iii) C

Father was James Devennie of Kellykergan, Coleraine, Derry

WO 363 [ 4 pages then 23 pages]

Same as above accept place of birth and enlistment is that mentioned by SDGW

Died of Phthisis or TB of lungs

Regards

LIT

Hi there LIT. thanks a lot for your great help, all the best yours Inniskilling.

• 5 years later...

I believe this is my grannys great uncle. He originally came from Aghadowey, Co Londonderry. He was married to a Rachael Murray.

• 2 years later...

James McCloy Devennie born 19 Sept.1873 Killykergan (not far from the town of Coleraine) in Aghadowey Parish, Co. Londonderry; parents James Devennie & Mary Anne McCloy. Married 15 Jan.1902 at Ballylaggan Reformed Presbyterian Church to Rachel Murray of Managher. She died 7 Oct.1911 at Glenmanus, Portrush. 

Constitution, 23 Mar.1918: DEVENNIE- 13254 Lance-Corporal James Devennie, Royal Scots, at Craig Leath Hospital, edinburgh, after a lingering illness contracted whilst serving in France and bourne with Christian fortitude he fell asleep in Jesus on the 11th inst. Inserted by his sorrowing father, mother and brother, Killykergan, Coleraine.

Edited by aghadowey
typo