Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Matthew Peake, Durham - can't find any info!

serenaJ

Hello all

We're trying to locate any info at all for a GW relative named Matthew Peake, from Medomsley (Consett), Durham.

Unfortunately at this stage we don't even know which regiment he was in, other than it was probably local. Civvy wise he was a miner. Born 1898, parents William and Margaret (if that helps with next of kin etc.). He did survive, though he was gassed (Somme?)

We have checked what we can in the online sources (in Ancestry etc.) but he's not showing up anywhere.

Any pointers we could use to research him further (e.g. which regiments might he have signed up for?) would be much appreciated.

Many TIA

Serena

[edit: we have checked medal cards - no joy!]

Serena

The four PEAKES I found (sounds like an orienteering race !) were two Captains and two even higher ranks,but none of them Matthew. There was one PEAK but not Matthew. There was one PEEKE,an M G,Private in the 7th Worcesters (this from his number 202259). You would do well not to assume that he entered a local regiment,as after 1915 he went where he was sent,and I imagine that he would not have gone into a War Theatre until he was past 18,so 1916 some time.

I am not saying that this is your man,just to prime you that sometimes spelling errors occurred.

It might be worth you looking up his local Absent Voters List for 1918 to see if he appears,if so it might show his unit and service number.

Sotonmate

Serena, Also found a PEAK (no E) Matthew 4037 and 571660 Medal Card served 17th London Regt but I think he matches up to a lad of the same name birth registered in Stepney according to Freebmd. As Sotonmate rightly says watch out for spelling errors. Ralph.

A magnificent response as usual, thank you one and all! :D

We were scratching our heads for a long time this evening about this.

I'll go away and digest everything - I've just looked up where the AVL is for Consett. In particular I'll also try to dig up a bit more about the West Yks Rgt individual - looks the most promising.

(I can't believe I missed that card! :blush: )

Thanks again

Serena

Serena

If you looked where I did it's no surprise we didn't find him ! WO372 !

Sotonmate

Serena

It's a strong possabilaty that Matthew Peake 42732 came from the Durham Light Infantry [one of the Home Reseve Battalion's], as a large number of men around this number did, most went into the 1/8th West Yorkshire Battalion.

Hope this infomation is of some help.

Ca Ira

Regards as always Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Serena

It's a strong possabilaty that Matthew Peake 42732 came from the Durham Light Infantry [one of the Home Reseve Battalion's], as a large number of men around this number did, most went into the 1/8th West Yorkshire Battalion.

Hope this infomation is of some help.

That's very helpful, Kevin - we'll check that out. Much obliged!

Best

Serena