Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helles relic

PhilB

During a visit to Lancashire Landing beach at Helles, a few years back, (It would have been about 1995, the first year it was opened after the Turkish Army had left it), I searched round for a memento and found a British water bottle about 50 yards inland among hummocky coarse grass, as I remember. The bottle still has its cork, is dark blue and is about two thirds surviving. I`ve often wondered since if it was possible for it to have been left there at some time after WW1, but have always thought not, as I assumed the Turks have occupied the place continuously since the British troops were withdrawn at the end of 1915. Would any of you Gallipologists care to comment? Phil B

In Les Carlyon's book 'Gallipoli' he mentions that recently someone found a trench periscope near Chunuk Bair, so I guess that these things can always be lying around especially in the undergrowth of places that weren't or aren't visited very much.

Thanks, Andrew. We were told during that 1995(?) visit that fire had ravaged the peninsula the previous year and that the Turkish authorities had organized parties to scour the ground for relics, as the vegetation had been burnt down to reveal the bare earth. Certainly, a few years before, squashed bully beef tins were not uncommon, whereas they were scarce in 1995.

I still invite comments as to how a British water bottle might have got there after 1915. Did the British Army go back at all? Did CWGC work involve army personnel? Phil B

The exhumation of bodies and the setting out of the cemeteries was undertaken by army personnel.

Only when the cemeteries were complete in terms of burials were they turned over to CWGC for them to construct the architecture, erect headstones and generally make the sites as attractive as possible.

There were also trips by veterans both organised & individual in the aftermath of the war. The Thomas Cook Guide to Asia Minor, Turkey & Constantinople includes a significant section on Gallipoli, none the less apart from the work of creating the war cemeteries and a short period of occupation just after the war (you will find postcards of troops at Cannakkale after the war) there was no mass return. Some soldiers did pass through the area (hence the odd MGC grave).

I guess that the relic had probably been there since 1915.

Visitors in the wake of the 1995 fire tell of walking the ground and seeing many shiny brass blobs on the charred surface. They probably represent numerous buckles, badges & buttons.

As for W beach I do not think the Turkish forces there would have gone out of their way to collect up relics.

Guest stevenbec

Units of the Australian and British Armies returned to Gallipoli in late 1918.

These were part of the allied occupation forces of Turkey.

there were was a large party of Australians who traveled around our battle sights looking for things for our later War Memorial, as well as looking for remains.

As for a water bottle remaining I see nothing out of the ordenary about it.

Please don't read to much into a lone WB its not a second gunman on the grassy mound.

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

When one of my mates was detatched to RAF incilik in Turkey he did RnR at Galipoli and found a SRD jar in a field so the stuffs still there

Carleons book has pics of ammo, clips and other bits and bobs he found during his research. Also if you're out there on market day, the locals always have plenty of relics to flog. The famers even in Helles still turn up plenty of things.