Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Farm

peter-s

Hello, I have posted on other subjects and had some good info. back so, I am hoping that someone will know the answer to this question,"

My Grandfather was said to have been wounded in or near a place called Agincourt Farm(or some name similar i.e Aichicourt or Hargicourt)"

The name doesn't turn up in 'Rats Alley' or on my 'Great War Maps' CD (1.1) The early version :( so this where I hope some one can help me.

The name may be slightly currupted by the Geordie accent :blush::blink: but the story has remained the same through all of the family. Thanks, Peter.

Peter,

There is a place called Havrincourt near to Cambrai.Perhaps a bit more information as to regiment, battalion and year may help to make a more positive indentification as to the farm in question.

George.

Hi, and thanks Chris & Snapper, Thanks for your interest! We are not entirly sure of the unit but, it could be Duke of Wellingtons.......or 1 of the DLI batts. He is listed on the absent voters list ( Sedgefield Co.Durham ) as G W Skelton 204894 3rd Batt. DLI reserve. so he would have been moved there from his original Regiment. One other clue is that MY Father was born 6th June 1917.....so that would mean that he was home (we hope :o ) 9 months prior (September).That could have been some of the time he was 'recuperating' ;) We also know that a Maj. Graydon (Grayden) visited the family home to get him back to the trenches........Thats another story!! Non of the other children were conceived during the war . hope that helps!! Regards, Peter. P.S he also had 2 good conduct stripes on his left lower arm.

Peter,

Well there we are.His MIC card may give all his regiments and start the ball rolling.Usually 3rd Resreve Bns were home Bns(perhaps not always) so you need his overseas regiment/battalion.His medal roll index may give the battalion but this would need a look up at TNA.The index reference should be on the MIC.Will have a look at the MIC transcription if not the actual card but you will probably beat me too it.

George

Peter ,

Have only found two G W Skeltons but we must not overlook the fact that only the first initial may have been used on the MIC.Have not seen the actual MIC but just the transcriptions of both GWs.The MIC may only show the last regiment served in so may not help to find the regiment served in when wounded.The name of the officer may help.There is still the slight possibility that his service records still exist but as you know Ancestry has not yet released any surviving service records for surnames "S"

George

• 3 weeks later...