Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TF Discharge 1916

Tim Lynch

Hi guys,

I wondered if anyone out there can help with this.

I'm tracing a guy from the 6th West Riding who served in France from April 1915 to April 1916 when he was discharged "Para 392 (XXI) KR".

I assume this means his TF time was up but can't find the relevant details of Para 392. It seems a few others in the battalion were also discharged about this time.

He then rejoined 1/6th West Riding the following September.

Can anyone explain the process please? Would he have been conscripted back in after discharge?

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the very speedy response Chris, much appreciated.

Would it be unusual for a guy to be discharged, re-enlist and end up back in his old unit by this stage of the war? I'd assumed that if he did volunteer again he'd be chucked into the pot and could be sent anywhere. Since he was 6th Bn to start with then 1/6th it seems he was almost straight back in with his original unit with a five month career break (when he would have been at the depot/in transit?)

Cheers

Tim

Tim

Time expired men were exempted under the first Miliatry Service Act but not the second passed in May 1916. It is a pretty safe bet that he 'volunteered' before being conscripted so that he could exercise his choice.

regards

Mel