Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From the Cold Project

John_Hartley

Today, I've "signed up" our 40th volunteer. Like many of our recent recruits, he isn't from the Forum but has joined as as a result of seeing an article about what we're doing in the newsletter of the War Graves Photographic Project. Other new folk have arrived after seeing our article in Stand To. It's going to enable us to keep cracking on.

By way of a quick update - our cross-checks on Officers Died are almost completed and the long process of cross-checking the General Register Office list of Overseas Deaths against CWGC is nearing the end of letter H. That'll be the best part of 200, 000 names checked.

We still await news of how the MoD is going to sort out with GRO about acquiring the necessary death certificates to confirm date of death, etc. Until then, our list of several hundred names still out in the cold continues to grow on a daily basis.

John

Nice one John

Chris

Well done to all those involved in this massive project.

Stuart

Guest KevinEndon

John, how can the searchers carry on their great work whilst Geoff's search engine is down, how do they know if someone is remembered by a different name etc.

Kevin

Kevin

Geoff's main search engine is down but the "widget" he designed for the project's access to the static datebase is fine.

Some folk, like yourself I think, prefer not to use the widget. Me? I'd find it much harder without.

John

How do forum members get to download the widget

I suppose they could always try to contact Geoff directly.

Have to say I don't think anyone would find it much use - unless, of course, they were working on the project.

It really just displays the relevent CWGC fields in a neater order - the main benefit I find is that results come on a single page, rather than the 25 names per page (or whatever) that CWGC has.

J

John,

As one of your recent recruits to the project, is it possible to provide a link to the two articles mentioned in your opening post?

Thanks

Cheers Andy.

It really just displays the relevent CWGC fields in a neater order - the main benefit I find is that results come on a single page, rather than the 25 names per page (or whatever) that CWGC has.

J

It really helps when you are lost in the HILL/S :rolleyes:

sm