Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte John W Ithell & Pte T Ithell

garethcaergwrle

I have been unable to trace any information regarding these gentlemen other than

Pte John W Ithell served with the 3rd Battalion East Lancs 1/39368 DoW 6/11/1918 Age 19

Pte T Ithell served with the 3rd Lans Fusiliers

I believe both men were from the village of kinnerton, Chester and although they had an unusual surname it has been a frustrating business tracking them down

Could anybody shed some light on them?

Regards Gareth

SDGW:

Name: John William ITHELL

Regiment, Corps etc.: East Lancashire Regiment

Battalion etc.: 11th Battalion.

Last name: Ithell

First name(s): John William

Initials: J W

Birthplace: Kinnerton, Flint

Enlisted: Wrexham, Denbigh

Residence: Kinnerton

Number: 39308

Date died: 6 November 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Name: Thomas ITHELL

Regiment, Corps etc.: Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Battalion etc.: 11th Battalion.

Last name: Ithell

First name(s): Thomas

Initials: T

Birthplace: Kinnerton, Cheshire

Enlisted: Preston, Lancs

Residence: Kinnerton, Cheshire

Number: 74317

Date died: 22 October 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 137573, R.F.A.

Thomas's service record is on Ancestry!

Adrian

According to somebody's family tree on Ancestry, they were cousins (their fathers were brothers).

Thomas (born c.1892) son of William and Ann. According to his service record, he married Ida PIERCY in Chester 23/1/18.

John William (born 1899) son of John and Mary.

Due to Ancestry's blunder :rolleyes: , the tree-owner thinks that John died in Aldershot...

Adrian

Tom Ithell was in a group of men that were posted from the 11th Battn Lancs Fusiliers to the 11th Battn Sherwood Foresters perhaps late '16 early '17

post-4619-1235490714.jpg

cheers

Mike

Mike,

His service record states that he was "compulsorily and permanently transferred" to 11/N&DR on 21/10/18 - the day before he died. Perhaps to make up numbers for an attack?

Adrian

Adrian

Thats interesting, I thought that the 74*** numbers were issued much earlier, but thats certainly worth knowing, many thanks B)

I'll look through the 11 N & D War Diaries tonight and see what was going on, there were certainly heavily engaged at that time.

The Battalion History is here:-

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ters/index.html

page 148/149 is for Oct 18

cheers

Mike

Mike

did you have any luck with the war diaries?

from the regimental history it seems that the 11th were at Maretz until the 23rd preparing for the Battle of Honnechy

Could they have come under fire at Maretz on the 22nd?

Regards Gareth

Sorry Gareth

forgot all about it :blush:

but here we go now:-

Oct 19-21 @ HONNECHY.

Enemy aircraft bombed the billets occupied by Bde runners, signallers and observers and as a result 1 OR killed and 20 ORs wounded of this battalion att to Bde. One of the planes was fired on by one of our Lewis gun anti-aircraft guards and there is every reason to believe that he was successful in bringing it down. Lt A D PARKIN MC joined the battalion.

Oct 22 @ HONNECHY.

The following officers of the Ox & Bucks LI joined the battalion:- 2nd Lts G JARVIS, H A NEWMAN, H HEMMINGS, J PICKARD, C G TODD, R L CUBBINGTON and J AUSTIN from MGC.

NOW, whats interesting is that in Tom's service record (Form B 103) it states that Tom was a signaller (dated 12/10/18), bet he was in those billets ??

cheers

Mike

here it is:-

post-4619-1235928131.jpg

Brilliant! Would have to believe he died in or as a result of that air raid

thanks Mike

Gareth

• 5 months later...
Guest Ithell15
I have been unable to trace any information regarding these gentlemen other than

Pte John W Ithell served with the 3rd Battalion East Lancs 1/39368 DoW 6/11/1918 Age 19

Pte T Ithell served with the 3rd Lans Fusiliers

I believe both men were from the village of kinnerton, Chester and although they had an unusual surname it has been a frustrating business tracking them down

Could anybody shed some light on them?

Regards Gareth

Hi Gareth , Darren Hughes here, John William Ithell and Thomas Ithell are great uncles to me, my grandfather Arthur Ithell lived in Hope.

• 4 years later...
Guest Karen Ithell

Hi, Gareth and the rest of you.....both were grand uncles of mine..... My great grandmother lived at the Dale in Kinnerton and had a picture of John in his uniform on the wall for the rest of her life...... It took me a trip to Wimereux and his grave to find out who he was..... I though he was my great grandfather for years...