Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible non-commemorations, some more Lincs...

jim_davies

Another couple (kinda) from the 1914-15 Star Roll. Last two have been errors in the roll...but wondered if anyone can find these lads. All are listed as deceased...

11857 Albert Parker, 1st Lincs

12526 George H Norris, regarded as died, 1st Jul 1916

13262 John Cross, 8th Lincs, KIA, 26 Sep 1915

14362 R.W. Slaves, 8th Lincs, KIA, 3 Jul 1916

15484 Thomas W. Poll, KIA, 1 Jul 1916

15765 Joseph Kelley, KIA, 14 Jun 1916

16010 Francis Schofield, 25 Sep 1915

16615 George H, Robinson, 1 Jul 1916

17063 Noah Podmore, 1 Jul 1916

18574 George H. Richer, 7 Lincs, 15 Feb 1916

Managed to knock a further lads of the list, by playing around with the CWGC search fields, but not having any luck with these men.

Jim

Here's SC(H)OFIELD:

Name: SCOFIELD, FRANCIS SYD

Initials: F S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: 16010

Additional information: Son of Herbert Scofield, of 15, Clifton St., Hammersmith, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 3.

Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=868082

Adrian

... and KELL(E)Y:

Name: KELLY

Initials: J

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 14/06/1918

Service No: 15765

Grave/Memorial Reference: Q. I. E. 18.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=518850

His MIC also has KELLY with no E.

Adrian

Here is 14362 R.W. Slaves, 8th Lincs, KIA, 3 Jul 1916

Name: STAVES, RICHARD WATTAM

Initials: R W

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 02/07/1916

Service No: 14632

Additional information: Son of the late Joseph Staves, of Caistor Rd., Market Rasen, Lincs.; husband of Isabella Staves, of 27, Water St., Accrington, Lancs.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 1 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Cheers Andy.

As for the others, I can't find any of them on CWGC just yet, but they all have MICs that say they died!

PARKER's MIC says KIA

NORRIS's MIC says Dead and gives middle initial E (not H)

CROSS John D I, MIC indexed as Leics, but reads Lincs, marked "Reg. as Dead"

POLL's MIC says Dead

ROBINSON's MIC says Dead

PODMORE's MIC says Dead (2/Lincs)

RICHER's MIC says KIA

None appear on SDGW, as far as I can see. And what's more, I can't find any of them in GRO War Deaths, so you can't even order a death certificate.

I'll check the service/pension records later on if I have time.

Adrian

Thank you both your help.

I wonder whether the three identified thus further are spelling errors on the rolls, (liek the previosu two) or scanning issues with CWGC?

Interestingly, all are reported as deceased in either major actions or (for the battalion's involved) fairly major...

Jim

Jim,

All three found are listed on the SDGW disk as they are in the CWGC.

Cheers Andy.

Did a quick search on SDGW for Poll, Robinson and Norris and neither of them are on there that I could find.

Hi Jim

As regards 18574 George Richer killed with 7th Lincs on 15th Feb 1916, his name is not on the CWGC but a name with the same number, battalion and date is:

Lance Corporal 18574 Richard Bayes. 7th Battalion. 15/2/16. Menin Gate. Panel 21.

Is it a mix up or an alias???????

Chris

Jim

The other point of interest i noted when cross checking with War and Victory Rolls was that all the men you have listed as 1st July 1916; Podmore, Robinson, Poll and Norris (Norrie on roll but still did not find) are all recorded as being with the 2nd Battalion.

Not that it particularly helps i just found it a strange coincedence

Chris

As regards 18574 George Richer killed with 7th Lincs on 15th Feb 1916, his name is not on the CWGC but a name with the same number, battalion and date is:

Lance Corporal 18574 Richard Bayes. 7th Battalion. 15/2/16. Menin Gate. Panel 21.

Aha!

In the BMDs and censuses, just about the only likely candidate for your George H RICHER is George Harry/Henry RICHER, born Sutterton, Lincs, Q3 1872, parents Henry & Eliza. He's pretty old (44 in 1916), but he married Elizabeth Annie BAYES in Peterborough Q3 1897.

Elizabeth's father and younger brother were both called Richard Joseph BAYES.

Adrian

Jim

had a good look for Thomas William Poll on the 1901 census and pretty sure he was from Tilney St Lawrence in Norfolk. There is a three year old Thomas W and a seven year old Thomas on the census. also looking at the rollof honour website there is a T Poll.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Tiln...ceMemorial.html

Chris

• 10 years later...

Pension card confirms the use of an alias for Richard BAYES ake George Henry RICHER:

Fold3_Page_1-3.jpg.f1f437498fb073c54116697ba1211337.jpg

Little joy with the other names, can only find the following details:

Albert PARKER - Soldiers' Effects says killed in action in Belgium on 26 April 1918, mother & sole leg. Ruth; pension card also says KIA on that date, dependant was father Segt. S Parker of the Post Office, Wilsford, Lincs.

George Edward NORRIS (or NORRIE) - Soldiers' Effects says died on or since 1 July 1915 (not 1916), sister & sole leg. Mary J E Chapman; pension card does not indicate death but names dependents as John Robert Norrie and Ruth Mansfield Norrie of 16 Bk Walmsley Street, Fleetwood, Lancs., also notes that a pension was previously paid to Jane or Jennie Chapman; further investigation reveals a marriage for John R Norrie and Ruth M Evans at Fylde in 1917, though it's not clear what the relationship is.

John Davey Isiah CROSS - Soldiers' Effects says died on or since 26 September 1915, father was Charles; pension card names mother as Jane Cross of 107 Mortlake Road, Custom House, London; brother was Jesse Henry George Cross, 3859 DCLI, died on 23 April 1915: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1608589/cross,-george-jesse-henry/

Thomas William POLL - no Soldiers' Effects; pension card says missing presumed dead on 1 July 1916, mother was Susannah Elizabeth Poll of 382 Sharrow Vale Road, Hunters Bar, Sheffield and previously of Tilney St Lawrence, Kings Lynn.

George Henry ROBINSON - Soldiers' Effects says died on or since 1 July 1916, widow was Emily F Burt(?); pension card names dependent as Emily Featherstone, of 25 Redbourn Street, Frodingham, Lincoln.

Noah PODMORE - Soldiers' Effects says died on or since 1 July 1916, brother was George; no pension card.

Edited by PaulC78