Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin-Staaken

David Seymour

Please could someone ID this German bomber?

Zepp_Staak.jpg

It looks to me like a Zeppelin-Staaken R XV but I would welcome confirmation.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,

David

David

It's Staaken R.XIVa (Schül) Nr 84/18, ie one of the three machines planned to be built under licence by the Schütte-Lanz company. It was only partially completed by the Armistice but, unlike 85/18 and 86/18, it was finished in January 1919. However, all three aeroplanes were scrapped to prevent them falling into Allied hands.

Regards

Gareth

David

It's Staaken R.XIVa (Schül) Nr 84/18, ie one of the three machines planned to be built under licence by the Schütte-Lanz company. It was only partially completed by the Armistice but, unlike 85/18 and 86/18, it was finished in January 1919. However, all three aeroplanes were scrapped to prevent them falling into Allied hands.

Regards

Gareth

Are you sure? - I believe only those engines fitted by Aviatik were fitted with spinners which would make it a RXVI (av)

Are you sure? - I believe only those engines fitted by Aviatik were fitted with spinners which would make it a RXVI (av)

Yes. There are photographs in The German Giants which show R.84/18 both before and after its spinners were fitted. The 'after' photo is the one that David posted.

That's good enough for me.

Gareth

You say that all three were scrapped to avoid falling into Allied hands. I have found a clip of one that landed in Aspern in Austria sometime in 1919 (see still). What would it be doing there?

post-9885-1235344522.jpg

post-9885-1235344592.jpg

I said that all three Staaken R.XIVa (Schül) aircraft built under licence by Schütte-Lanz were destroyed after the Armistice, ie R84/18, R85/18 and R86/18.

The aeroplane in your photographs is R69/18, a Staaken R.XIVa built by Staaken - note the absence of the Schül suffix. R69/18 was completed on 19 October 1918 and was chartered by the post-War Ukrainian government to fly money into the Ukraine, but was seized by the Inter-Allied Control Commission at Aspern, near Vienna, after it returned from Ukraine. It was subsequently turned over to the Italians.

Cheers

Gareth