Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Lee - Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Ronnyson

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find out more information about my Great Uncle - Pte. John Lee who was KiA on 3 July 1917.

I am particularly interested in where he was, prior to and at the time of his death, although any new information would be gratefully received.

Here's what I already know - he was born in 1893, at the time of his death he was with 148 Bn of The Machine Gun Corps (21823) , formerly he was with South Staffs Rgt 1/6 Bn (3248)

He has an MIC (45234/5800) with Victory, British and 1915 Star Theatre of War. 1

He transfered to the MGC on 5/5/16. To my knowledge no papers are on A*stry.

He has a Memorial Grave at Pont Du Hem.

It has been suggested he may have been with the 148th (3rd West Riding) Bge of 49th West Riding Division. If this is a 'probable' does anyone know where they were operating at the time?

I have checked LLT and as many other sources I can find with little success.

Anywhere else I should look?

Any help anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ronnyson.

You could try the Old Comrades Association of the Machine Gun Corps at mikemearns@onetel.com I am a member and they have helped me out in the past. (He is the archives officer)Ralph.

Hi

Although CWGC state that he was with 148 Battalion Machine Gun Corps it would actually have been 148 Company Machine Gun Corps. The 148 Company War Diary can be found in the National Archives at Kew under reference WO95/2806, this covers the dates of Feb 1916 to March 1918.

Steve

Many Thanks for that Steve,

As you can see I am very new and inexperienced at this - and from what I read on this (and some other) sites, tyhe MGC is hard enough to trace - without heading in the wrong direction!!

I am right in thinking you have to visit (or get someone to look for you) Kew to look at the diary don't you - you can't check/pay to view over the internet can you?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks rjaydee,

Wouldn't I have to become a member though?

Ronnyson

For a non member I think they charge a fiver for info, but not sure you can only ask. Ralph.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, did you get any joy? The war diaries for 199 Machine Gun Company of 49 (West Riding Div) show they were in and out of the line in Neuve Chapelle and the Fme du Bois sector at the end of June/beginning of July and their diaries refer to 148th Bde fairly frequently eg "20 June 1917, OC Coy to Head Quarters 1st Portugese Brigade made arrangements for cooperation in raid by 148 Infantry Brigade". Although not mentioned specifically on 3rd July, the 199th diaries report on the 2nd July two events of interest:

- a friendly fire incident in which Portugese shells fell on friendly lines and;

- heavy bombardment on the whole front occupied by the Portugese Exped force and German trench raids around Neuve Chapelle.Perhaps John lee was caught up in one of these events.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kelt

Apologies for my rather delayed reply - but I was away on holiday when you 'posted'.

That would indeed fit it with the 'bits & peices' that I already know - I understand that the Pont-Du-Hem War Cemetery is in the Neuve Chapelle area and I believe his War Grave to be one of the 'original' graves buried there. I have been unable to find a 'specific named battle' that was going around the date John was KiA - so I figured it could be an incident such as you have described.

I am obtaining quotes for the War Diaries around that time as we speak.

I have sent you a PM Kelt hope that's ok

Regards

Paul