Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfred Conroy cheshire Depot 63263

caroline@linkagecomputing.co.uk

Can I run this man past the experts please.

This man enrolled 21/05/1917 and was classified medically as B111 but as a clerk was given a job in the Cheshire Depot Office.

by 14/09/1917 he was discharged as no longer physically fit .

He has papers on Ancestry which show that he had a thickening of the lining of the heart valve.

It says at one point this was aggravated by his service but later a medical board says not aggravated but he still seemed to be down to attend further boards and a sum of £50 was paid.

I think his death is this entry:

Wilfred Conroy birth 1897 death 1918 jul quarter age 21 Birkenhead Cheshire Volume 8a page 598.

I do not have the death Certificate.

As he was discharged and only served in England would he be outside the CWWG?

He was the son of William and Elizabeth Conroy born Liverpool Lancashire he was living in Seacombe Cheshire by 1901 Census and is remembered on the Wallasey Hospital Memorial Panels.

The family emigrated to New Zealand and at least one other brother Leo is shown on the CWWG site.

Thank for your time I seem to be popping up here too much recently.

Regards

Caroline

The location of his death is immaterial - as is the area in which he served.

As he had been discharged but died within the qualifying period, there is a chance that he may qualify.

You have the cause of his discharge but you do not know the cause of death (he could have been run over or fallen down stairs). If you get his death certificate and this gives a cause which can be linked to his service, then there is a potential case.

Without the cause of death, we can say no more.

Caroline

You're going to need the death certificate to confirm linkage between reason for discharge and cause of death (unless his Ancestry papers confirm the cause).

Assuming there is linkage (and he was not hit by a runaway Birkenhead tram), then it's worth a try, certainly on the basis that there appears not to be consistency in the view in the papers as to whether it was aggravated by service. It's probbaly an "iffy" one but I would go for it if it was me.

Once you've got the certificate, you can either submit it diretc to CWGC with the supporting evidence from the service papers, or the In From The Cold Project can submt it on your behalf through the arrangements we have with the Commission. If you want to follow the latter route, please contact Terry denham when you've got the certificate.

John

Thank you John and Terry for your quick replies-yes i would say it is "iffy"

I will get the Death Certificate and come back to you.

I have given myself a crazy task and may well be looking for that Tram myself before the end John.

Regards

Caroline

• 2 years later...

I've looked at this again on behalf of the In From the Cold Project and am sure that the paperwork concludes that Wilfred's heart condition was not caused or aggravated by service.