Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Cemeteries - Mons

mordac

Hi Terry:

I'm trying to locate all the CWGC cemeteries located in the Mons area that contain Canadian casualties dated November 10 and 11, 1918. I've found the Mons Communal Cemetery which contains 25 of these graves. Can you please provide me with any information on the other cemeteries in the Mons area. Many thanks.

Garth

P.S. - I love the way the new CWGC web site is structured to view the details of all those who are buried in a given cemetery. This is an outstanding feature!

Garth

How big a circle around Mons do you want?

Of those fairly close by...

Cuesmes Communal Cemetery (3)

Ghlin Communal Cemetery (1)

Harveng Churchyard (6)

Jemappes Communal Cemetery (5)

Mons Communal Cemetery (57)

St Symphorien Military Cemetery (2)

The numbers are the total number of Canadian burials and are not necessarily from your date range. You can check those on the CWGC site.

If you define 'Mons area' a little more in terms of East/West - North/South, I'll check for more.

How big a circle around Mons do you want?

<snip>

If you define 'Mons area' a little more in terms of East/West - North/South, I'll check for more.

Hi Terry:

Thank you for your quick response.

The number of Canadians KIA during the liberation of Mons on November 10/11, 1918 is unclear. The figure ranges from 32 to 38. I've located 25 of these men in the Mons Communal Cemetery. That leaves between 7 and 13 men unaccounted for. I'll check the five additional cemeteries (17 men) you've listed.

Here's what Nicholson's history (page 482) has to say about the casualties incurred at Mons: "Considering the resistance put up by the German machine-gunners, the capture of the city was achieved with very few casualties. The 3rd Division gave its total loses for both the 10 and 11 November as 9 officers and 107 other ranks killed wounded or missing. The 2nd Division's reported total for the period 7 to 11 November inclusive was 22 officers and 343 other ranks. Official post-war calculations of Canadians killed, wounded and missing, including casualties from gas, show a total of 18 officers and 262 other ranks for the final two days of operations. Careful research made at General Currie's request revealed that on 11 November itself, there were one fatal and 15 non-fatal casualties."

Garth

Garth

It is also possible that you will not find all the graves - some of them could be 'Unknowns'. So you will have to search the appropriate memorial as well if you have any gaps after your research.

It is also possible that you will not find all the graves - some of them could be 'Unknowns'. So you will have to search the appropriate memorial as well if you have any gaps after your research.

Hi Terry:

Your valuable information has produced the names of seven additional Canadians who fall within the date range.

You're quite right about the 'Unknowns' and those listed as missing. I assume these men would be remembered at the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. There are 54,554 records in the database at this Memorial; a daunting task to sift through all these records! ;)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Garth

Garth

Are you man or mouse?

There are actually only 54,336 names on the Menin Gate (latest figure). The rest are 'Alias' names.

And only 6,930 are Canadians.

A lot easier!

Are you man or mouse?

There are actually only 54,336 names on the Menin Gate (latest figure). The rest are 'Alias' names.

And only 6,930 are Canadians.

A lot easier!

Hi Terry:

Squeak, squeak, you called sir?

Actually, 7,000 names is almost manageable. The problem is you can't do a search on the Menin Gate Memorial by nationality on the CWGC web site. That leaves you with tackling all 54,336 names.

In a perfect world, you would search the database using the cemetery, war, year of death, force and nationality. The results would then be closer to 2000 names. In a really perfect world, you'd search by exact date of death. By the way Terry, this isn't a complain; more of a wish list. :D

In another thread, Chris Wight has narrowed the the field down to two men from the RCR and four men from the PPCLI. We have as yet to put a name to any of these men.

Garth (please pass the cheese)

Wouldn't the missing men be listed on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial anyway, rather than Menin Gate?

Hi Chris:

Only 9826 records listed here. :lol: I checked the letter 'A' (about 300 records) and there were no Canadians mentioned.

I actually feel a little overwhelmed; trying to find the names of six men who went missing on November 10/11, 1918. There's got to be an easier way <he says in desperation :D >.

Garth

Garth

There is an easier way.

Just ask CWGC on casualtyenq@cwgc.org for a list of all Canadians who died on 10 or 11.11.18.

As this is likely to be a very small list, you will probably get it by email.

There is an easier way.

Just ask CWGC on casualtyenq@cwgc.org for a list of all Canadians who died on 10 or 11.11.18.

As this is likely to be a very small list, you will probably get it by email.

Hi Terry:

Done. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what happens.

You've just lifted a 10 lbs. weight off my shoulders. :lol:

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry:

I received the list from the CWGC today. I'm really impressed with the one week turn around time!! Thanks again for all your help.

Garth

Hi Terry:

I'm seeking your guidance on correcting some inaccuracies which appear on the list the CWGC sent me, as well as on their web site. One man has his last name spelled incorrectly and three men have spelling errors in their middle names. I've confirmed this by checking each man's CEF attestation paper. Is it worth pursuing this? I'm most concerned about the incorrect spelling of the last name. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Garth

Garth

Email me the details including a link to each's Attestation Paper on the Canadian site and I will get them fixed (assuming CWGC do not have contrary evidence).