Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Garrison Artillery

nareynolds

I am interested in finding out more about an ancestor of mine, James Jeffrey HUGGAN. He was a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery 228 Siege Bty and was sent to France on 14/01/1917. He died of wounds on 05/11/1918 (152663)

Nicola

I can find no mention of him in "228", The History of a Siege Battery During the Great War. Are you sure that he was a Scottish Rugby International? My records show that Lieut. James Laidlaw Huggan, RAMC was a Scottish Rugby International.

Dick Flory

His number would indicate someone being conscripted/mobilised to the Citadel, Plymouth, the second week of April 1917. It would be unusual, at this time, for him going to France before July, and probably even later. Do you have evidence that he was an original member when the battery went on the 14th Jan. 1917?

Kevin

Thank you so much. I was half expecting no responses to my messag but you have been really helpful.

Nicola

Nicola

James Jeffrey Huggan Born Hawick, Roxburgh Enlisted Berwick on Tweed, 152663, Gunner

Died of Wounds France and Flanders 05/11/18

CWGC link below

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=274189

A Scotish Rugby International as well

Regards

Paul

I don't have any other reference of him being a rugby international other than the mention made on the CWGC website. James Laidlaw Huggan was also mentioned as being a rugby international on the same website but I can't tie him into my family tree.

N

I can find no mention of him in "228", The History of a Siege Battery During the Great War. Are you sure that he was a Scottish Rugby International? My records show that Lieut. James Laidlaw Huggan, RAMC was a Scottish Rugby International.

Dick Flory

Kevin, I don't really know anything more. But thanks for the info

N

His number would indicate someone being conscripted/mobilised to the Citadel, Plymouth, the second week of April 1917. It would be unusual, at this time, for him going to France before July, and probably even later. Do you have evidence that he was an original member when the battery went on the 14th Jan. 1917?

Kevin

Scotland Rugby Internationalist?

I don't know where these facts have originated from but they seem a relatively new addition to his CWGC info as I have no knowledge of having seen it listed before. VERY strange.

James' name doesn't even feature on the Hawick Rugby Club Roll of Honour - he certainly DID NOT play rugby for Scotland.

James died in a CCS after being wounded on 4/11 in thigh and legs. He was employed as a Frameworker at Innes and Coy.

See : http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

He was the husband of Isabella and father of 2 children.

post-172-1235313932.jpg

Wow thank you so much, I had no idea when I opened your message that I would see a photograph of James. Even if the 'Rugby International' isn't true, you have more than made up for t with the newspaper cutting.

Thank you again.

Nicola

Scotland Rugby Internationalist?

I don't know where these facts have originated from but they seem a relatively new addition to his CWGC info as I have no knowledge of having seen it listed before. VERY strange.

James' name doesn't even feature on the Hawick Rugby Club Roll of Honour - he certainly DID NOT play rugby for Scotland.

James died in a CCS after being wounded on 4/11 in thigh and legs. He was employed as a Frameworker at Innes and Coy.

See : http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

He was the husband of Isabella and father of 2 children.

Wow thank you so much, I had no idea when I opened your message that I would see a photograph of James. Even if the 'Rugby International' isn't true, you have more than made up for t with the newspaper cutting.

Thank you again.

Nicola

What a fantastic development Nicola. I bet you were pleased with this!

SPN

Maldon

I was thrilled and very surprised to see James's face looking out at me! This is the oldest photograph of a Huggan that I have. I have also had lots of help offered on the 6th Gragoon Guards where my great grandfather served. This is a great site - I'm really pleased you recommended it.

N

What a fantastic development Nicola. I bet you were pleased with this!

SPN

Maldon

I was thrilled and very surprised to see James's face looking out at me! This is the oldest photograph of a Huggan that I have. I have also had lots of help offered on the 6th Gragoon Guards where my great grandfather served. This is a great site - I'm really pleased you recommended it.

N

My pleasure. I too have had a great deal of support and enjoyment from the forum in the short time I have been on it. Glad you are receiving so much information. Might see you again some time in Chelmsford!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Dick Flory

Apologies for abetting to mislead Nicola

Looks like CWGC have simply put that in by mistake and thanks to Dick and Derek for the correction.

Regards

Paul

Looks like CWGC have simply put that in by mistake

Paul,

I find it a little disconcerting that the CWGC would add those details by mistake.

What gets added now becomes accepted "history", however right or wrong, a few years down the line.

I can only think that the details of James Laidlaw Huggan have become mixed up here somehow - and it's sad to see.

The entry was meant for someone with a similar name. Now sorted.

:wacko: :wacko:

Thanks for getting things back to correct Terry.

Nicola,

I also feel there is something still not quite correct with the all the available information re 228 Sge Bty for this gunner. I concur with Kevin in post #4 about doubt over his service number and his entry to theatre date, and would be happier if he was recorded in the book of their history to verify. You should be aware his medal roll shows him with 433 Sge Bty, which was personnel only that upon arriving in France was split up, one section going to 229 Sge Bty.

Rgds Paul