Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another request

nareynolds

This is my great grandfather Frank West who was born in Balaham, London and died of wounds on 01/04/1918:

Regiment: Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line

6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) Service Number 19949. Private. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, 6km north of Albert, France

I would really like to find out more about him. Could anyone help me please.

Nicola

This is my great grandfather Frank West who was born in Balaham, London and died of wounds on 01/04/1918: Regiment: Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line. 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) Service Number 19949. Private. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, 6km north of Albert, France. I would really like to find out more about him. Could anyone help me please.

Hi Nicola

What are you trying to find out and what do you already know ...

I am also researching a man in the 6th Dragoon Guards, but havent got very far yet!

Dianne

This is my great grandfather Frank West who was born in Balaham, London and died of wounds on 01/04/1918:

Regiment: Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line

6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) Service Number 19949. Private. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, 6km north of Albert, France

Nicola

Your grandfatherwas born in Balham, London in 1885, his parents are Henry and Elizabeth West

He had a couple of other service numbers and was moved to other regiments, which you may or may not know about

South Wales Borders, service number 40183

6th Dragoon Guards, service number 3DG-5516

C of Dns D19949

I got this information from his medal index card, on Ancestry.com

Dianne

Nicola/Dianne.

If you find that your relatives were in the 6th Dragoon Guards before July 1917 let me know as I might be able to provide a little bit of information. I have researched a man who was in that unit from pre war until mid July 1917 - although he was in England recovering from wounds for some of the time.

Neil

If you find that your relatives were in the 6th Dragoon Guards before July 1917 let me know as I might be able to provide a little bit of information. I have researched a man who was in that unit from pre war until mid July 1917 - although he was in England recovering from wounds for some of the time.

Hi Niel

I'm researching the men of Wheldrake, Yorkshire, that fought in WW1. One of those men, John Hudson Watson, was in the 6th Dragoon Guards and died on 01 Dec 1917 (buried at Villiers Hill British Cemetery). I'd be grateful for any info you have on this regiment up to mid 1917

Many thanks

Dianne

ok, well I know he was born Balham 1884 or 85. He was in the South Wales Borderers, 6th Dragoon Guards, Cof DNS (I don't know what this stands for?), Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps). I don't know in which order, or how they are linked. He died 1/4/1818 in France & Flanders and I have already mentioned he is commemorated in Poizieres.

I would like to see his service record but it isn't on ancestry yet. I would also like to know a bit more about where and how he died.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

What are you trying to find out and what do you already know ...

I am also researching a man in the 6th Dragoon Guards, but havent got very far yet!

Dianne

Hi Nicola, Dianne and Neil

My Great Uncle served with the 6th Dragoon Guards in the Boer War and later in India. In 1914 he went to France with them. If any of you are interested I have the 6th D/G war diaries from August and September 1914 which i would be willing to e-mail you a copy of. I also have his pension and service record that may give dates regarding the 6th D/G's movements that may be of help, Please message me with contact details if you are interested.

regards

Jonathan.

Nicola, Dianne et al: There are too many posts running on this same subject. If you 'search' for 6th Dragoon Guards you will find the info I have posted.

• 9 months later...

Neil

Can I take you up on this offer too please?

I am looking at 2nd Lt John Eric Bovill, 6th DG, KIA 23/1/16. He joined the reg in France in Mar 1915.

Many thanks

James

Nicola/Dianne.

Neil

James.

I have tried to send you a message but without success. Send me your email and I will send you what I have.

Neil

• 2 months later...
Neil

Can I take you up on this offer too please?

I am looking at 2nd Lt John Eric Bovill, 6th DG, KIA 23/1/16. He joined the reg in France in Mar 1915

Neil & James

I am also looking at this chap. I have his MIC and obit and photo from the Harrow Memorial of the Great War (Vol 3) but would be very grateful for any other information.

Thanks in advance!

Natalie