Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could someone help please

nareynolds

I am a complete novice at this and new to this forum, but I'm really impressed by the messages. My interest is in my two army ancestors

The first was Henry Charles Kennedy and I have discovered the following on him

16th The Queen's Lancers L/5157 - Private

Victory, British & 1914 Star Medals.

Silver War Badge issued. Discharged 15/09/1916

Chelsea Pensioner

The second brother was Frederick Robert Kennedy

12/03/1915 Date of entry to WW1 - France. Private in the Middlesex Regiment, promoted to Sergeant (1735). Subsequently Commissioned Officer to Royal Berks Regiment 29/05/1918 (200161)

Any information on either of these or ideas about leads would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance, Nicola

I am a complete novice at this and new to this forum, but I'm really impressed by the messages. My interest is in my two army ancestors

The first was Henry Charles Kennedy and I have discovered the following on him

16th The Queen's Lancers L/5157 - Private

Victory, British & 1914 Star Medals.

Silver War Badge issued. Discharged 15/09/1916

Chelsea Pensioner

The second brother was Frederick Robert Kennedy

12/03/1915 Date of entry to WW1 - France. Private in the Middlesex Regiment, promoted to Sergeant (1735). Subsequently Commissioned Officer to Royal Berks Regiment 29/05/1918 (200161)

Any information on either of these or ideas about leads would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance, Nicola

Fascinating story around Frederick I am sure - to start as a private and move through the ranks to become an officer (albeit in a different regiment). Have you looked at his medal card? Does his service record survive?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

From TNA

Medal card of Kennedy, Frederick Robert

Middlesex Regiment 1735 Private

Middlesex Regiment 200161 Serjeant

Royal Berkshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

and

Medal card of Kennedy, Henry C

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lancers L/5157 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Grant

You may not be aware, Nicola, that the 16th Lancer would have been a pre-war regular soldier if he went to France in 1914 to qualify for the 1914 star.

Thank you for this SPN. Yes the Kennedy family is full of interesting stories. Frederick's father Henry spent his early years in the workhouse as did many of his brothers and sisters, but he made something of himself going into business as a bootmaker. He had three sons but I have only been able to find records of two of them in WW1 (Frederick and Henry). I can't find any record of the youngest of the sons, John Markham (known as Jack) having fought although he was of the right age (born 1897).

I do have the medal card for Frederick, he was awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star. I haven't been able to track the service record though.

N

Fascinating story around Frederick I am sure - to start as a private and move through the ranks to become an officer (albeit in a different regiment). Have you looked at his medal card? Does his service record survive?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Nicola,

If Henry Charles Kennedy was a Chelsea Pensioner, then all his records, I would imagine would be available at the RHC. To be a Chelsea Pensioner, in the first place, he would have to have been an N.C.O. at least, and certainly have had to serve a good number of years in the army. I have however seen some pensioners with no rank badges. I remember, from a while back, that pensioners had to hold the LSGC medal, (automatic time qualification), but a quick browse on the web does not substantiate this any more.

Alan

Nicola,

If Henry Charles Kennedy was a Chelsea Pensioner, then all his records, I would imagine would be available at the RHC. To be a Chelsea Pensioner, in the first place, he would have to have been an N.C.O. at least, and certainly have had to serve a good number of years in the army. I have however seen some pensioners with no rank badges. I remember, from a while back, that pensioners had to hold the LSGC medal, (automatic time qualification), but a quick browse on the web does not substantiate this any more.

Alan

Alan,

Are you sure the LSGC and long length of service was not just relevant to military service in peacetime?

I caught something on the telly the other night where a chap was eligible for a place at the RHC on the strength of WW2 active service alone.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you for this SPN. Yes the Kennedy family is full of interesting stories. Frederick's father Henry spent his early years in the workhouse as did many of his brothers and sisters, but he made something of himself going into business as a bootmaker. He had three sons but I have only been able to find records of two of them in WW1 (Frederick and Henry). I can't find any record of the youngest of the sons, John Markham (known as Jack) having fought although he was of the right age (born 1897).

I do have the medal card for Frederick, he was awarded the Victory, British and 15 Star. I haven't been able to track the service record though.

N

Thanks Nicola - great ancestory! Where does the Markham bit come from? The only reason I ask is that it is a local surname (to Maldon) and we have one of the family on the war memorial here.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

I caught something on the telly the other night where a chap was eligible for a place at the RHC on the strength of WW2 active service alone.

Cheers,

Mark

Could this have been the soldier who qualified for a place because he was being paid a disablement pension (sorry I don't know the exact term) for injuries received during the war? This meant that the length of service requirement (22+ years, I believe) was waived.

CGM :)

Hi, Markham was the maiden name of the 3 Kennedy boys' grandmother. She came from Stillorgan in Ireland. Any connection?

Nicola

Thanks Nicola - great ancestory! Where does the Markham bit come from? The only reason I ask is that it is a local surname (to Maldon) and we have one of the family on the war memorial here.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hi, Markham was the maiden name of the 3 Kennedy boys' grandmother. She came from Stillorgan in Ireland. Any connection?

Nicola

If there is then it is distant. The Maldon Markham's had a mineral water business and were key players in town at the time of the Great War.

Will let you know if I make any link.

Good luck with your research Nicola.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 3 years later...

Hi Nicola. my husbands family are the Kennedy...henry Charles was his grandad we have loads of information and photos about his life and all of the family that goes back to Ireland stating from the 1800's onwards we would really like to help in anyway

regards

Barbara Kennedy

barbaraannehewitt@yahoo.co.uk

• Admin

Barbara

Not a good idea to publicly post your email address. Nicola hasn't been active on here for a year, maybe you can ask a Mod to contact her or you can send her a PM?

Michelle