Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post-armistice blues

michaeldr

GOC-in-C Egypt to War Office

(telegram)

20 February 1919

There have recently occurred four cases of serious unrest: in the Royal Ordnance Department at Haifa, in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps at Kantara, Gloucester Yeomanry at Aleppo, Middlesex Yeomanry at Damascus. This unrest has been temporarily adjusted (sic). The unrest in the Royal Ordnance Department and in the Royal Ordnance Corps was caused by doubts as to who we were entitled to bonus under Army order 14 of January, and uncertain prospects of release. In the yeomanry, the discomfort in the advanced areas resembling active service conditions, and in all cases the fact that men eligible for demobilization, though retained with and doing the same work in the same unit as men eligible for demobilization, do not draw full bonus till after 1st May. I earnestly urge that from 1st February to date of release the full bonus be granted to all ranks in this force.

[WO33/960, p.307]

From

Allenby in Palestine – the Middle East correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby

Edited and selected by Matthew Hughes

Army Records Society/Sutton Publishing 2004

ISBN 0-7509-3841-2

At least one MP is recorded in Hansard requesting that duties currently being carried out by some British units (apparently originating from his constituency) be taken over by Egyptian units so that those British troops could be sent home and de mobilised. The Sec of State pointed out that there was a known sequence for demobilisation and it would be most unfair for him to make arrangements for some units in effect to jump the queue. I don't know the MPs motive but it does smack of 'pork barrel' politics and can't have helped matters.

There was widespread unrest among Allied troops of all nationalities after the Armistice. There have been a number of posts about it, including at least one long one from me about the situation in Wiltshire. As MichaelDR's thread specifies Egypt I'm not posting a link to it unless other Pals widen out the discussion geographically.

Moonraker

• 4 weeks later...

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the troops were demobilised, but then I wasn't waiting to go home.