Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with dates

djcrtoye

Hi folks I wonder if you can help me. My Gt granda Dominic Toy served with the Connaught Rangers. He was with them when they crossed into France. Its mainly the dates and if see just below a date of him being wounded while at home ?. He was definately at home on the 28th of September as he was registering his youngest daughter's death. Any help would be appreciated.

post-15820-1235052524.jpg

Well, it looks like his period at home in 1914 was from 31 Aug until 8 Oct 1914. I therefore wonder if the date of his wounding has the wrong year? Maybe 1915 and not 1914? Of course it is not impossible it was the result of an accident, but then it seems unlikely he would have been fit enough to attend to his daughter's death registration just two weeks later.

Presumably you do not have further pages of his records to consult?

Ian

On second reading it is (logically) Home: 31 Aug - 31 Dec 1914 (Back in France from 1 Jan 15).

And is the GSW entry deleted, with a line through it?

Ian

Hi thanks for your replies. It does look if has been scored through on closer examination. Yes he was 2nd Connaught Rangers, but if the dates are correct it seems he missed every major engagement of the first part of the conflict. The only engagement he took part in was Le Grand Feyat and the retreat. At least he some action before he was discharged.

Thanks again.