Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras aerial photograph 1917

unitedsound

There you go, I've used the angle of the roads and the woods to match it up with trenchmapthis from "Linesman"

regards

Tom

post-5284-1235058548.jpg

Using the "3D" you get in the "Linesman" package, I think you can see the similarities even clearer...

Tom

post-5284-1235058946.jpg

And now to finish off...using a modern aerial from Google earth...

Tom

post-5284-1235059386.jpg

Thanks very much Tom.

I'll get a chance to view it tomorrow.

David

Also the aerial photograph you posted David was taken late in the war, a lot of the trenches visible in your photo are only shown on a map dated July 1918, and not on earlier ones from 1917.

Again this map (July 1918) is taken from "Linesman" using the 3D world that is part of the program.

Tom

post-5284-1235070537.jpg

Thanks for this latest image Tom.

At the moment I am just trying to understand a bit about the major battle sites on the Western Front.

Hopefully I'll make my first trip sometime soon.

I see what looks like "Scottish" marked in red on this latest map. Any ideas what that is about?

TIA

David

The images are impressive - good work folks.

I live in Arras 8 months of the year and drive these roads not realizing what I have been driving drive through. I did know they were around but when you present them as you have......................holy cow, it really brings it home.

Good work, tks, Peter

Thanks for this latest image Tom.

At the moment I am just trying to understand a bit about the major battle sites on the Western Front.

Hopefully I'll make my first trip sometime soon.

I see what looks like "Scottish" marked in red on this latest map. Any ideas what that is about?

TIA

David

Can't help you with the trench marked "Scottish" in the map portion I posted David, its actually "Scottish Avenue" and looks like a communications trench running from near Arras centre to the front line in the east. I can only assume there must have been a Scottish Regiment in the area that used it extensively

during that period. There may be other forum members more knowlegeable than myself about the actions around Arras that can answer that one...

regards

Tom