Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Underground war ww1

bantamforgot

Hope this is the right section but anyone interested , TV programme Ch4 @ 02.15 Sunday 22nd. Feb. re. the underground war ww1.

Colin.

Its listed on the Saturday programming - made by a Mike Fox. unfortunately that leaves me none the wiser.

Keith

I can't find it on your site either, however I am going on the Radio Times listings, where they give the early hours of the following day, it follows the end of "Heartbreak ridge"which commences at @ 23.55 Sat. the 21st. Feb.

There is no info. on the programme material but it can only be about mining ww1.

You must miss a "few" good programmes if you go off that site.!

Cheers.

Colin.

This is what it says on the Channel 4 website on the Saturday page

02:15 The Underground War

Mike Fox's extraordinary film looks at the underground war which took place in the intricate maze of tunnels intersecting the trenches which ran from the North Sea to the Swiss border.

Keith

Ah, 2.15am ! Apologies, I was looking for 2.15pm.

Got it now, though – it seems that up to 6.00am is deemed to be part of the previous day.

I won't be watching it then, though, as I already have the video. It's directed by Mike Fox, but the underground work is by Peter Barton and Johan Vandewalle, co-authors of "Beneath Flanders Fields" (with Peter Doyle), and more recently members of the team that opened up the Vampyr Dugout at Zonnebeke. Excellent stuff and highly recommended.

Mike Fox was also the cameraman for the C4 Vampir Doco and the History channel version which is still to be broadcast. A super chap indeed.

Regards

Iain

Looks as if I'll be setting the timer on the recorder. Its way past my bedtime. I had been contemplating lashing out about €30 for the DVD so thanks Colin for posting the original information.

Keith

I watched "One of our Mines is Missing" yesterday Sky Discovery. Thought it was a superb piece of work. It concerns the Canadian area at Arras, and the discovery of unfired mines in that region. Rivetting stuff.

I was away Sunday so checked today for comments on the Sunday am mining programme ch4 not a word or did I miss them?

Colin

Hi Geraint, was it about the 1917 time?

Colin

Hi Colin. Not Ch4 but a Sky History programme. It was about 12 years old, as one of the RE experts featured on it was killed the following year and his obituary shown at the very end of the programme gave 1999 as his year of death. It was centered on the REs checking the unexploded mines still extant. Yes, 1917. It was not sensation seeking, no bodies nor celebrities; just good, awesome work carried out underground by retired Royal Engineers! I'll keep an eye on the listings and notify you. -_-

Thanks Geraint, I think I remember it from sometime ago, a repeat as was the ch 4 programme.

As so many members seem to be celebrating with a recently retired member abroad, perhaps there were few members watching.?

By the way tried making the lava bread, a disaster!!!

Colin