Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification

effemess

I wonder if anyone could identify the cap badges/regiments in this pic.. and also any ideas on why they might have had their picture taken... since they seem to be from different regiments..

Thanks

post-37506-1234972321.jpg

The front row and the chap on the right at the back are Royal Artillery.

Left at the back appears to be a Light Infantry badge but unable to tell which regiment; the one next to him looks like Royal Irish Rifles and I can't make out the Scottish Regimental badge.

I am sure that some more helpful people will be along soon.

The front row and the chap on the right at the back are Royal Artillery.

Left at the back appears to be a Light Infantry badge but unable to tell which regiment; the one next to him looks like Royal Irish Rifles and I can't make out the Scottish Regimental badge.

I am sure that some more helpful people will be along soon.

Thanks Squirrel, any ideas on why they might all have their photograph taken together??

Although the bulk have been identified as gunners and a Royal Irish Rifle, I downloaded it and before it blurred the lad standing 2nd from right rear seems to have a Kings Royal Rifles cap badge. While I'm unable to identify either the Jock or lad standing extreme left. Good blow ups of the cap badges of these two would help us try and identify them.

What is interesting is that apart from the Jock and gunners the others are wearing the bandolier. Now depsite what has been said in many post that it's cavalry or corps mounted troops only, the infantry performing mounted duties would also wear the bandolier especially if with a small arms ammunition column.

Before the war the bandoliers was also very much part of the Territorial infantry uniform and I have many photo's of pre-war NF Territorials wearing it at annual camp.

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of knowledge on this wonderful forum.. so if it was a pre 1914 TA camp would they all be from different regiments then?

The Scottish chap looks like he might be Royal Scots. The cap badge is about the right size.

Stewart

The Gunner [front row, left] is a Farrier.

Stewart

Although the bulk have been identified as gunners and a Royal Irish Rifle, I downloaded it and before it blurred the lad standing 2nd from right rear seems to have a Kings Royal Rifles cap badge. While I'm unable to identify either the Jock or lad standing extreme left. Good blow ups of the cap badges of these two would help us try and identify them.

What is interesting is that apart from the Jock and gunners the others are wearing the bandolier. Now depsite what has been said in many post that it's cavalry or corps mounted troops only, the infantry performing mounted duties would also wear the bandolier especially if with a small arms ammunition column.

Before the war the bandoliers was also very much part of the Territorial infantry uniform and I have many photo's of pre-war NF Territorials wearing it at annual camp.

Spot on there Graham, I also have many 5th Battalion Notts and Derby

(Territorials) photos wearing bandoliers

I would suggest "Shoeing Smith" as opposed to Farrier, he is not carrying any rank.

Generally each troop had a smith, and each company one Farrier, usually a Sgt. (different for houshold Cavalry of course).

The same man also seems to be wearing a cap cover!

Alan

RA Chap second from the left (front row) appears to have leather or composite buttons as opposed to the standard brass GS buttons. This might suggest it is a wartime rather than pre-war image. Is there anything on the back that might give a clue? (is it a poscard back etc)

Edit: just noticed the chap front row middle seems to have a simplified pattern tunic - so definitely wartime if true.

May be they were on a course,together.

Quite possible and I'm inclined to think the Jock(possibly R.Scots) without the bandolier is possibly the instructor. Mounted Infantry course were a regular feature of Army life prior to the war, although I'm unsure if this was removed from the training programme just before the war.

I'm still hoping that we get close-ups of the badges of those other two lads.

• 2 months later...

I have recently become aware of this post by a very dear and much younger member of my dispersed and somewhat dysfunctional family. Although I have no knowledge of the history of the photograph, the Scot is my grandfather Pte. John Sands 1457 and 275095, a Territorial with the 6th Batt. Royal Scots he went overseas in 1914 with the 8th Batt. Royal Scots. He played football for the 6th Batt. and could handle a pint or two but I am unaware of any other skills to place him as an instructor. The 8th Batt., however, became a Pioneer division in 1915 so maybe this was indeed a training group. Perhaps one of the resident Royal Scots experts may have some ideas. Eric

Its recorded that the 2/6th Battn Sherwood Foresters took their leather bandoliers to France in 1917 (and presumable kept them) so perhaps other Battns did the same?

The "background" appears to be a painted "Backdrop";suggesting a Studio photo,possibly all local enlistees/friends/relatives who had a photo taken together??

The cap badge of the chap standing - rear left - is the South Nottinghamshire Hussars.

Seph

Although the bulk have been identified as gunners and a Royal Irish Rifle, I downloaded it and before it blurred the lad standing 2nd from right rear seems to have a Kings Royal Rifles cap badge.

The chap 2nd from right in the rear rank certainly could be KRRC - it's very hard to tell, but it looks like a maltese cross. We shouldn't rule out the various KRRC-style badges in the London Regiment though.

I also agree with Royal Irish Rifles, though I think the scroll is obscured by the chin-strap. On balance I think it's too long and thin for London Irish.

I too originally had the chap extreme left of rear rank as Light Infantry, but the proportions are wrong - not enough badge above the bugle (if it even is a bugle) - for most of the well-known LI regiments. I'm not familiar with the South Notts Hussars.

IIRC one of the London Regiment battalions, had a strung bugle as its badge ... and could the scottie be London Scottish? We might then have a bit of a Londons theme developing? Just a thought :rolleyes:

We'll need better scans to say any more I fear.

Cheers,

Mark

I would suggest "Shoeing Smith" as opposed to Farrier, he is not carrying any rank.

Generally each troop had a smith, and each company one Farrier, usually a Sgt. (different for houshold Cavalry of course).

The same man also seems to be wearing a cap cover!

Alan

Not proven: the badge was for 'farrier, shoesmith' [CR 1914] and not necessarily associated with a rank.