Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

R.A.M.C. & Leicestershires

Tank

This is my first post here and I wanted to start off and say that the ultimate sacrifice will not be forgotten while fantastic sites like this are around.

Both Grandfathers served in WW1, from his cap badge and knowing where he was stationed helped me identify through the Long. Long Trail sister site that my paternal grandfather was part of the Leicestershires 3rd Battalion.

My maternal Great Grandfather was also with the Leicestershires back in the 1880's but when my maternal grandfather and his two brothers followed their father into the service, they were stretcher bearers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Arthurs medal card has the theater listed as Egypt in July 1917 which I know from the Long Trail site was where the Leicestershires 2nd Battalion was stationed in 1917.

My question is three fold,

1. Would Arthur have been stationed with the Leicestershires as part of the RAMC or were they totally independant.

2. As he was in Egypt. would he have had to have been in France/Flanders to have been awarded the a "15" Star listed on his medal card.

3. Are replicas/copies available of the Victory and 15 Star as these were not handed down to me.

Bizarre as it seems typing this, I'm thankful that he and his elder brother were invalided out after a gas attack as I may not have been here otherwise. The village war memorial is testimony that unfortunately his younger brother wasn't so lucky and I for one am extremely grateful for the sacrifice of the many.

This is my first post here and I wanted to start off and say that the ultimate sacrifice will not be forgotten while fantastic sites like this are around.

Both Grandfathers served in WW1, from his cap badge and knowing where he was stationed helped me identify through the Long. Long Trail sister site that my paternal grandfather was part of the Leicestershires 3rd Battalion.

My maternal Great Grandfather was also with the Leicestershires back in the 1880's but when my maternal grandfather and his two brothers followed their father into the service, they were stretcher bearers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Arthurs medal card has the theater listed as Egypt in July 1917 which I know from the Long Trail site was where the Leicestershires 2nd Battalion was stationed in 1917.

My question is three fold,

1. Would Arthur have been stationed with the Leicestershires as part of the RAMC or were they totally independant.

2. As he was in Egypt. would he have had to have been in France/Flanders to have been awarded the a "15" Star listed on his medal card.

3. Are replicas/copies available of the Victory and 15 Star as these were not handed down to me.

Bizarre as it seems typing this, I'm thankful that he and his elder brother were invalided out after a gas attack as I may not have been here otherwise. The village war memorial is testimony that unfortunately his younger brother wasn't so lucky and I for one am extremely grateful for the sacrifice of the many.

Welcome to the Forum Tank.

1. RAMC are totally different from the Leicesters, although members of the RAMC could have been in the same division as Leicesters. For example a relative of mine was a stretcher bearer in the North Midland Division (46th) and would served in the Field Ambulance alongside others from the village who were in the Leicesters (all were territorials).

2. No I believe any theatre. If you can give name & number I or others can help a bit more. The third were a reserve/feeder Bn. injured men would go back to the 3rd shortly before going back to a battalion such as the 2nd.

3. Yes, WorcesterMedals can help. Give them the details and they'll engrave any medals as the originals were likely to have been.

http://www.worcmedals.com/dsContentStream.aspx?item=182

Many thanks for the speedy advice. My Grandfather was Private Arthur Cooper R.A.M.C. 44851 and his medal card is Catalogue Reference is WO/372/5 Image 20178 if that helps.

Many thanks for the speedy advice. My Grandfather was Private Arthur Cooper R.A.M.C. 44851 and his medal card is Catalogue Reference is WO/372/5 Image 20178 if that helps.

Hi Tank,

What village were they all from?

Good luck with the research

Jim

Hi Jim

Although all three were born in Wigston they were raised in Ibstock from a very early age which accounts for George's death being recorded on the impressive Memorial on Central Avenue.

From his number I think he wasn't in the territorials, and as he landed in Egypt prior to the 2nd Bn. arriving there, he wasn't in the Meerut Division with the 2nd Leicesters.

His number is 5 digits long, so I guess he enlisted in Kitchener's army.

Have you searched for a service or pension record?

Your next port of call might be to look at the Medal Rolls at Kew, which may give an indication of what unit he was attached to.

His medal card shows he first landed in Egypt, so he didn't go to France or Flanders prior to this. He may have gone afterwards, but finding his unit will lead the way.

Raich

The plot thickens, I thought I would call up the medal card for my Great Uncles. First of all George, the younger brother is listed on the CWOG at St Sever in the Leicestershires 7th Battalion, No 49136, which corrects the information passed down to me and he wasn't in the RAMC.

Trying to locate the elder brother, Charles T, where I get two hits in the RAMC with those initals (No 6491 and 64934) and no hits for the Leicesters - Are the numbers significant in their sequencing?

Cheers

The plot thickens, I thought I would call up the medal card for my Great Uncles. First of all George, the younger brother is listed on the CWOG at St Sever in the Leicestershires 7th Battalion, No 49136, which corrects the information passed down to me and he wasn't in the RAMC.

Trying to locate the elder brother, Charles T, where I get two hits in the RAMC with those initals (No 6491 and 64934) and no hits for the Leicesters - Are the numbers significant in their sequencing?

Cheers

For infantry 4 digits usually means T.F. or regular army, 5 digits kitchener. After 1917, the T.F. were renumbered to 6 digits. This is true for RAMC as well, however I have a relative who had a 4 digit number then a 5 then a 6...