Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ROAD CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES

dave ricketts

Can anyone tell me how many RCC companies were raised for service in the BEF, and their numbers? Their designations seem, from service records I have seen, to be in the ranges 30x, 31x, 33x and 34x. 320-329 and 348 Companies were Quarrying Companies. Were the rest all RCC companies?

Thanks,

Dave

Western Front

Road Construction Companys;

No's 301 - 319, 330 - 347 and 348

Regards Charles

Would these have counted as Army Troops or Corps Troops? How did the chain of command run back to GHQ?

TIA

David

Dave

They came under Lines of Communication but from July 1917 most came under the heading Transportation Troops. Several of the RCC units came under command of Inland Water Transport.

Source: Document provided to the Official Historian by the Corps of Royal Engineers.

TR

Dave

They came under Lines of Communication but from July 1917 most came under the heading Transportation Troops. Several of the RCC units came under command of Inland Water Transport.

Source: Document provided to the Official Historian by the Corps of Royal Engineers.

TR

Terry

Thanks - gives me something to get my mind around (previously had thought that Transportation Troops were ASC - i.e. transporting things and troops rather than building the means of transport and operating engineering assets like railways).

I have "Transport Troops ASC" as coming under the Army Chain of Command, presumably I should have them coming under the command of the individual Army's Engineering Troop commander (CRE)?

When you say "Inland Water Transport", would that be the same as the "Drainage or Barge Companies RE" that I read about on LLT and who I have understood to be part of an Army's Engineering Troop?

David

Road Construction Companys;

No's 301 - 319, 330 - 347 and 348

Charles

I guess the 348 was a typo? 349 was a Road Construction Company, 348 was a Quarry Company.

Regards

Steve