Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War One Themed Visits in London

Pighills

I am off to London on Wednesday for 5 days and whilst I am there I will be visiting the Tower Memorial to pay my respects and also visiting Tubby Clayton's (of TocH fame) vicarage, together with inspecting some World War One bomb damage close to Cleopatra's Needle (my thanks to Stu for this information).

My OH has an interest in WWII (his granddad was something big in connection with Churchill supposedly) so we shall be visiting the Cabinet War Rooms as well. As I have just been checking things out on the net I was very pleasantly surprised and exceedingly pleased to see they are also doing a WWI exhibition - so, two birds with one stone!!

Quote from the Cabinet War Rooms website:

A fascinating insight into the story of the Post Office during the First World War is the theme of a new exhibition from The British Postal Museum & Archive (BPMA) and Churchill Museum and Cabinet War Rooms (CMCWR) to be held at the historic site. The exhibition, Last Post: Remembering the First World War, marks the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War and will run from 5 November 2008 to 28 February 2009.

The Victoria Cross medal awarded to Sergeant Alfred Knight of the Post Office Rifles (there is then a picture of said Victoria Cross)

The exhibition will explore the story of soldiers and spies, machinery and medals, commitment and communication.

It will address how the Post Office responded to the war in getting mail to the soldiers and sailors serving around the world, as well as to those being held prisoners of war.

The Post Office sent men off to fight and on the front, the Army Post Office carried letters and parcels between battalions and special base depots. Telephone equipment installed by the Post Office was vital to military success.

The postal service was also a tool of war and a vehicle for propaganda. The vital censorship operation set up to monitor correspondence helped the government to catch spies and control the dissemination of military information; it was managed by the Post Office.

All these stories will be explored through the exhibition Last Post: Remembering the First World War.

I am soooooo looking forward to this!

I've recently written an article about hte bomb damage at Cleo's needle, if you'd like to see it PM me and i'll e-mail it across.

There's also the Dolphin Tavern in Holborn, which was bombed by a Zeppelin 1915, the clock on the wall stopped when the bomb went off. Very nice pub too, good grub

The statuary at Hyde Park Corner is an absolute must - and a chance to see just how average the modern stuff is by comparison!

You could walk up from Embankment to HPC via Whitehall and say hello to Sir Douglas - also there are some decent staues on the Embankment including the Camel Corps.

Hi Diane - we don't need a pass, we are staying VERY central. Have you seen the millenium wheel on telly? Well, literally behind it is the old County Hall, and that's where we are, so most of what we're visiting can be walked to. We have a boat trip to get to the Greenwich observatory and planetarium - this is my daughter's treat (and what the whole trip is about really) as she has studied and worked very hard this last year and has passed THREE entrance exams for schools (she's only 11 too!). I shall post some photos for you Diane.

IanW - thanks for the suggestions, we have perhaps an hour or two spare and, if we can, we shall certainly wander up that way.

We spent last evening working out our itenary and for once have managed to be organised about it (MOST unusual for us - we went to the Somme the first time without a map, if it wasn't for Bruce (Hubbard) we wouldn't have known where we were going!!).

George - tea at the Ritz, I wouldn't waste my money!! As nice as the idea is, I'm the sort of person who wants value for my money and a cucumber sandwich is much the same in any place! ................................. but if you want to spring for me I'll gladly meet you there :lol:

Oi...can I have my maps back now?

:lol

Only joking.....and delighted to have been able to help.

On your London trip...take lots of pics...and then post them on here.

Looking forward to seeing them, for I'm sure you will both enjoy the trip.

Bruce

Kim,

sounds like a very enjoyable visit you have planned. Don't forget the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at westminster Abbey. There is a plaque on the platform that he arrived at in Victoria Station as well.........

Incidentally, my grandfather was in charge of the transport horse teams and waggons that moved Cleopatra's needle to it's present site.................

Oh no!!!

I just took off Westminster Abbey and inserted the Imperial War Museum (trying to juggle logistics between hours available and location of visits).

Our location is Premier Inn at County Hall (ie: over the road from the Houses of Parliament)

I have:

Wednesday afternoon (time available from 3 pm) the Florence Nightingale museum OR the Imperial War Museum Preference: IWM

Thursday - all day in Greenwich (visiting the Royal Observatory and the Planetarium - if any time left over lots of other things to do/see there).

Friday:

Morning - Westminster Abbey Or the War Cabinets Prefence: War Cabinets

Lunchtimeish - War Cabinets OR the Jewel Tower Preference: the Jewel Tower

15.30 (non-moveable) Houses of Parliament

Saturday:

The Monument

Tower Bridge

Tower Memorial

Cleopatra's Needle

and, if time allows, the Tower of London (English Heritage members so entry free - therefore if we only get half an hour it doesn't matter, and we've been before)

Sunday morning:

the Jewl Tower OR Florence Nightingale museum Preference: Florence Nightingale museum

Leave at 2pm.

Few remaining hours to wander to Whitehall etc

Our location is Premier Inn at County Hall (ie: over the road from the Houses of Parliament)

There's a river in the way, too. :lol:

Kim

I enjoyed the "In Memoriam: Remembering the Great War" exhibition (2nd floor of the IWM) - but it's on until September so you have plenty of time to catch it if time doesn't permit on this trip.

Have a great time!

Brian

Kim

If you have time on Friday, you may want to walk from Whitehall through Horse Guards (opposite the Duke of Cambridge's statue - there are two equestrian statues in the road; D of C is the one with the hat on) and over Horseguards Parade to see the Guards Division Memorial on the edge of St James' Park. The five figures are most impressive, as are the bronzes around the edge of the memorial obelisk. On returning across Horseguards Parade, you can also see the much smaller Royal Naval Divsion Memorial on your left, next to the huge concrete building that looks like a giant electricity substation but is actually the Admiralty Citadel, the bombproof building from which naval operations were conducted during WW2.

I think you will enjoy your visit!

Regards,

W.

Kim

On thursday while you are at Greenwich you could extend your visit to the FirePower Museum in Woolwich, its just a bus ride from Greenwich.

John

Kim,

I don't think the Tower of London is English Heritage any more. I seem to remember having to pay last time I visited.

If you get chance, do try the Dockland Light Railway. Don't forget to tip the driver.

>><<

If you get chance, do try the Dockland Light Railway. Don't forget to tip the driver.

(The driver is chap in the front seat wearing a hoodie using what looks like a gameboy console.)

Kim,

I don't think the Tower of London is English Heritage any more. I seem to remember having to pay last time I visited.

It's not. You do.

And for the driver, the best tip I ever had was Don't speak with a moutful of custard. Stood me in good stead for many years.

Kim,

Oh dear, when did that happen?

Just as well we got to see it when it was free!!

We've been on the Dockland Light Railway (last time we went - same time we visited the Tower, the railway was free then too, my how times change :lol: )

All these marvellous suggestions - I think I need to stay down for a couple of months at this rate B) Don't think my OH would like to pay the bill though :o

We are trying to get hold of an old friend of OH's mother who used to work at the IWM until a few years ago. If we are successful I am hoping OH will be able to go around with him, getting an in-depth guide to what is on display. It may too much for the girls so we shall just wander around and take a 'lighter' tour.

Now then, whilst I'm at the Houses of Parliament, is there anything anyone would like me to raise with Gordon??

Kim,

You could ask Gordon to raise a smile.

Re the Ritz,my O.H. says I've got to pay the mortgage off first but I'll keep you in mind. :D

George

Now then, whilst I'm at the Houses of Parliament, is there anything anyone would like me to raise with Gordon??

Start with the value of my HBOS shares, before this thread gets pulled. Not for contravening the politics rule, but for falling foul of the abusive language one.

Yes, no2 daughter recommends the IWM, as "great" she went with the school 2 years ago and stayed on HMS Belfast which she loved.

Barbara..

oooh I didn't know you could stay on HMS Belfast - may be one to think of for the future!!

George, it's ok, the way interest rates are going your bank/building society will end up paying you - therefore, you CAN take me afterall YAY!!!!

Now Steven, once I get an answer as to WHY the Tower of London is no longer part of English Heritage (it USED to be a world heritage site - has it had its status rescinded??) I will tackle Gordon about your HBOS shares.

A number of London WW1 sites have been added to the Google Map that a number of us have been creating (see thread: Listing of Great War sites in the UK ? - Great War Forum ). We have not included War Memorials (there are so many that we think they deserve a separate map).

If you know of other sites please feel free to get yourself a (free) Google Account (which then enables you to edit the map), or post details to the above thread.

David

Some organised groups can sleep on HMS Belfast. My ex slept on board last year with a scout troop. Nuff said.

If you do manage Westminster Abbey, don't forget Daddy Plumer.

Keith