Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment

Guest PEARMAN

Need help to find information about the circumstances of the death of my ancestor.

Private George Alfred Pearman, L/9542, 2nd Battalion, Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment, died at Sea, 11th July 1916, age 23.

Thankyou in anticipation

Not sure I can help much beyond what you may already know.

First of all his service number indicates a Feb 1911 enlistment as a regular and he went to a War Theatre 06/02/1915, essentially this means he was in India with 2nd Bttn on outbreak of war and when relieved by TF battalions, was part of 908-strong 2nd Bttn that sailed to Mesopotamia at end of Jan 1915.

He died from illness - the summer of 1916 saw the 2nd Bttn blighted by a cholera epidemic although I cannot say this was the cause of death. I assume he was onboard a hospital ship when he died.

Would you have a photo of George or any information about his service career of life?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Thank you for your reply,

Sorry I do not have a photo of George, The only information I have is that he enlisted at Maidstone, a few month's after his seventeenth birthday and is Commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

Regards

Alan

The only information I have is that he enlisted at Maidstone, a few month's after his seventeenth birthday

That should fit in with the Feb 1911 enlistment date.