Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

261st Siege Battery

BARNWELL

I have just found out that my grandfather was in the 261st Siege Battery during the First World War, and thanks to this Forum and its very helpful contributors, I now have a very good idea what I need to do to determine his progress via the various HAGs. in the absence of the 261st war diaries. What I do not have is a single photo of my grandfather in uniform, and I'm hoping someone can help or perhaps point me in the right direction of a suitable source. Fortunately he returned intact from the war but there are no relatives left to ask for the information. This is my debut on the Forum so my apologies if I have missed something in the earlier postings.

Pete

Hi Diane, I'm still getting to terms with postings. My Grandfather was John Barnwell No.110852. I'm guessing that he left the Battery in 1919

Regards Pete

Barnie,

If your GF was serving in 261 Sge Bty as part of the Rhine army and depending which month he left in 1919, then yes I can point you to a battery photograph of all its gunners in uniform, which hopefully may even include your ancestor. I will PM the details to you accordingly.

I cannot see his mic on Ancestry though to confirm, only one on the NA catalogue. His records do not appear to have survived although he appears to be an original member. You obviously have something to show he was a 261 member and his medal roll confirms it.

Rgds Paul