Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

12th Lancers


MelPack
 Share

Recommended Posts

Shortly after the outbreak of the war, the Base Depot of the 12th Lancers moved to Marlborough Barracks, Pheonix Park, Dublin and then to The Curragh around February 1917.

The Base Depot trained recruits and recycled men as and when they recovered from wounds but there was also a squadron that was part of the 6th Cavalry Reserve Regiment and then the 1st Cavalry Reserve following the reorganisation of early 1917 and the transfer to The Curragh.

This squadron appears to have consisted of highly experienced men and was quite distinct from any ad hoc formations consisting of trainees or returnees. Presumably, the squadron's presence in Ireland was for securuty purposes.

Any further information on this squadron would be welcome.

Thanks.

Mel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...