Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this uniform?

clalou

Hello to all on the uniform section!

Would anyone be able to identify this uniform preferrably with an estimated date for me please?

willows-tn.jpg

If need be I also have a much larger image of the original photo so could zoom in for a close-up on any section if it helps.

Mank thanks

Clalou

Certainly Royal Artillery, but uncertain whether Field or Garrison. I haven't got my book on profficiency badges here, but he's wearing crossed artillery guns with a star above, which Grumpy one of our members would identify easily. As for dating, well not easy, but would say circa 1890's/1900's.

I was mulling (especially with a Southsea photographer) that he might be Royal Marine Artillery? And Graham's right, it's a proficiency badge right up Grumpy's street - and I think it's a Prize Badge too, awarded to the best performer at a certain level.

Certainly Royal Artillery, but uncertain whether Field or Garrison. I haven't got my book on profficiency badges here, but he's wearing crossed artillery guns with a star above, which Grumpy one of our members would identify easily. As for dating, well not easy, but would say circa 1890's/1900's.

Many thanks Graham for your prompt reply to my query. I did wonder what the crossed guns and star on the sleeve were. I am also pleased to hear you think it may be 1900s as this puts my ancestor in the appropriate time frame. Thanks again Clalou

I was mulling (especially with a Southsea photographer) that he might be Royal Marine Artillery? And Graham's right, it's a proficiency badge right up Grumpy's street - and I think it's a Prize Badge too, awarded to the best performer at a certain level.

Thank you Staffsyeoman for suggesting Royal Marine Artillery. I am certainly interested in finding out what the proficiency badge was awarded for so with both yours and Graham's advice I will contact Grumpy. Many thanks Clalou

Royal Marine Artillery I think

My opinion RHA later than 1898 before 1914, member of 2nd prize battery nice photo!

Dear Grumpy - Your opinion fits perfectly with the timescale I have for my ancestor.

Would you be able to elaborate on 2nd prize battery please

Thank you very much

Clalou

I know little about RMA badges: the Army Clothing Regs neither include nor exclude them from prize badges.

But the sword sling and what looks like a riding crop or whip?

Battery prizes were redesigned in 1898 and were: crossed guns 3rd, crossed guns and star above 2nd, crossed guns and crown 1st.

To every man and NCO of the prize battery, competed annually.

Hi,

This photo calls to mind the famous portrait of Sgt. George Edward Nurse VC, taken after 1901. He was in 66 Bty RFA. The uniforms are identical, even down to the crossed guns badge (not visible in this copy I'm afraid).

georgenursevc.jpg

Simon

Just a thought.... Royal Artillery - photo from Southsea - another possibility could be RGA from Fort Nelson prior to 1902?

Just a thought.... Royal Artillery - photo from Southsea - another possibility could be RGA from Fort Nelson prior to 1902?

Thanks Simon for your reply - do you know if the photographer's studio location is usually indicative of where regiments are stationed or could they have been taken during a training exercise? Kind regards Clalou

Hi Clalou,

It was just where the soldier happened to be when the urge took him to get photographed. Many were taken whilst home on leave, but some were taken close to where the soldier was stationed at that time.

The above photo of George Edward Nurse VC was taken in Cork, whilst his home was in Liverpool.

Simon

Thank you Simon, Grumpy & Squirrel for your comments.

I am going to Who Do you think You Are show next week and I know that Firepower will have a stand - do you think it would be worth taking the photo with me?

Best regards Clalou

Hi Clalou,

Your man looks like a gunner in the pre-1904 Royal Field Artillery (RFA). He is clearly wearing his Full Dress tunic (9 buttons), which he would wear for walking out, minus his Full Dress headdress, which is why he is wearing a pillbox hat. Incidentally, Army Order 242 of 1901 removed swords and sword bayonets from the Royal Horse Artillery (RHA) and the RFA Other Ranks. The belts were still used until 1904.

Royal Horse Artillery, in Review Order (pillbox hat for walking out), would be wearing a Hussar-like jacket and breeches. Sometimes a stable jacket would be worn. Both of these jackets are high-waisted.

Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) would look similar to an RFA man.

However, RFA pre 1904, would wear the white belt and a snake-type fastening and it looks like he is wearing one of these. Plus, he is carrying a whip.

Aye

Tom McC

Dear Tom

Many thanks for your views on this photo. It still looks as if the jury is out on this one but I think he is carrying a whip too so I am beginning to think RHA. I know that he had not entered the army in 1901 as he is on the census living with his adoptive family aged 16 but think he may have done so pretty soon after. Thanks again Clalou

Clalou,

Don't be confused by the name, both were part of the Mounted Branch of the Artillery. The Field Artillery required a similar amount of horses to the Horse Artillery - so both would carry a whip or a crop as a walking out dress accoutrement.

If you look at the picture below of the Royal Horse Artillery, the chap in the foreground, with his hands on the wheel of the gun is wearing a Stable Jacket, The two chaps directly behind him (one bending down) are wearing the Hussar-like jacket that would be worn by the Horse Artillery in Full Dress (Review Order). Note that both jackets are high-waisted.

For this reason, I think your man is Royal Field Artillery. Apologies about not making this clearer.

Hope this is of use

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1235123308.jpg

Dear Tom

Firstly may I say what a magnificent photograph! Thank you very much for explaining that both RF & RHA had horses. My apologies I have come into this cold with very little background information so the extra clarification has made things much clearer. Did the RFA have horses just for pulling guns or did they get to ride them as well? My thanks again Kindest regards Clalou