Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gen Sir John Crocker GCB KBE DSO MC

Gordon Caldecott

Dear All,

I`d very much like to hear from anyone who can give me any information on Gen Sir John Crocker, and his role within the IWGC/CWGC, I have a document signed by him, and am keen to kind out more about this man.

Any ideas how he won the DSO & MC?

Kind regards,

Gordon Caldecott.

Gordon;

General Sir John Crocker was a junior officer in the MGC; he was 22 when awarded his DSO, and was invested with both at Buckingham Palace in 1918.

CROCKER JOHN TREDENNICK T/2/LT DSO 26/07/1918

CROCKER JOHN TREDINNICK T/2/LT MC 17/12/1917 23/4/18 CIT(The two dates mean original notification, followed by subsequent publication of citation)

Distinguished Service Order

T./2nd Lt. John Tredinnick Crocker, M.C., M.G.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in charge of four machine guns he broke down two strong enemy attacks, holding on from 10 a.m. till dusk, when infantry and reinforcements arrived. The following day he maintained his position till outflanked, when he stood up between two of his guns and directed their fire on the enemy, who were within 30 yards, then covered the withdrawal with bombs and rifle fire, killing many himself at close range. Took up a fresh position until almost surrounded again, when he again went out with bombs. His

example throughout was magnificent.

Military Cross

T./2nd Lt. John Tredinnick Crocker, M.G. Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty as section commander in a machine gun battery. He stuck to his battery until it was blown up, and then, going forward to the barrage, he salved two guns and took them forward to support the infantry, where the situation was uncertain.

He was originally a cavalryman, but after the war was a pioneering tank officer (he was the Brigade Major of Major General Percy Hobart's experimental Armoured Brigade in 1934). Commanded brigades & divisions in North Africa & Tunisia; Corps commander in Normandy.

I've got more on him elsewhere, but this is what I can dig up for now!

Anyone interested,

I`ve tried to submit a copy of the document I have relating the Gen Crocker, but it appears to be to big, for submission. If anyone would like a copy, drop me a line and I`ll email it to you.