Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nurse casualty information please

museumtom

I have a Nurse who died of scarlet fever in Military Hospital, Seymour Park, Manchester. She died of Scarlet Fever (Scarlatina) and was give a full military funeral. Here name was HILDA FLORENCE LETITIA ANNA PEARE. Has anyone information on this poor unforunate lady please? I cannot find her anywhere not even CWGC has her.

Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• Admin

Two people spring to mind to ask for help; Jim Strawbridge and Sue Light.

A PM to them might be useful?

Cheers, Michelle

Name: Hilda F L A Peare

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Year of Registration: 1917

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at Death: 23

District: Prestwich

County: Lancashire

Volume: 8d

Page: 608 (click to see others on page)

this is the only mention I could find of her ,

regards Dave

Thanks Guys and following up your suggestions

azureus many thanks for the info is this from a death cert? I have not found it anywhere that she was an actual nurse. The info I have is from an old newspaper cutting.

Regards.

Tom.

Sorry, not much more to add. Her name is on the York Minster panels as Hilda F. Peare. Her photograph is available. As a VAD she won't necessarily be a nurse. She would not be elligible for CWGC status.

Many thanks, if you can add anything else it would be much appreciated.

many thanks again for all your efforts.

Regards.

Tom

Thank you Carmania. Does that mean she was a member of the Dublin Detachment of the VAD? Like a volunteer nurses assistant type of thing?

Regards.

Tom.

If she was a VAD and you want to see her uniform look in the Women's Section of the Forum as there are several photographs of VADs in full uniform.

It will certainly help to visualise her.

Cheers

Mike Tomkinson

Bradford

Does that mean she was a member of the Dublin Detachment of the VAD? Like a volunteer nurses assistant type of thing?

Sorry, I should have made that clear, she was a VAD in Dublin although I have no idea what work she did.

Aled

Thnak you everyone for all your help, much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

When she died she was a member of Dublin Detachment No 24.

Aled

That's interesting. Where did you get that information from? If I understand it recruitment normally came from the areas that the detachment number covers. I don't know which part of Dublin No 24 covers but it should give a clue as to where she was living at the outbreak of war and perhaps, using the Dublin census, we can home in on her home, family, siblings and the like.

It comes from a document titled 'Summary of Work for March 1917' published by the BRC and Order of St John. There is a list of names under a heading The Roll of Honour and amongst them is this entry:

Hilda F Peare (B.R.C., Dublin/24)

I've come across conflicting evidence as to whether it was a Dublin City or County Dublin detachment but the Commandant at Easter 1916 was a Mrs Bolton.

I've been unable to trace Hilda Peare in the so far released parts of the 1911 Census of Ireland nor in the 1901 Census of England or Wales.

Aled

It comes from a document titled 'Summary of Work for March 1917' published by the BRC and Order of St John. There is a list of names under a heading The Roll of Honour and amongst them is this entry:

Hilda F Peare (B.R.C., Dublin/24)

I've come across conflicting evidence as to whether it was a Dublin City or County Dublin detachment but the Commandant at Easter 1916 was a Mrs Bolton.

I've been unable to trace Hilda Peare in the so far released parts of the 1911 Census of Ireland nor in the 1901 Census of England or Wales.

Aled

So she was British Red Cross under the umbrella of the VAD. Any chance of seeing the full list to see who else is on there?

Thank you so much for that list, Aled. It will help my research no end. For instance, I had Esme Keen-Penrose as the name on the York Minster panels (Emma Keens Penrose). No wonder I couldn't find her in the census. I can also start my search based on London (thats where her detachment was) and work my way out.

The next time I am in the National Library of Ireland I will look up WAR RECORD OF THE ST JOHN AMBULANCE BRIGADE AND BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY IN LEINSTER, MUNSTER AND CONNAUGHT 1914-1918.

It appears to list all VADs and an asterisk shows whether they served at home or abroad. However as Hilda Peare died 1917 I am not sure whether it will include her name but it will give the backgound on Dublin Detachment 24.

Many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 3 years later...

Hi Jim,

I know this thread has not been active for a few years, I have just come across it.

With regards to Esme "Keen Penrose", she was the sister of Lieutenant Algernon Fane Keane Penrose, 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who was killed in action at Gallipoli on 10 May 1915.

Have you found a cause for her death?

Best regards,

Mal