Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

request munster Alley. 26th July 1916

7:29am

Hi,

Thanks to the forum i have had a massive break through on one a soldier i have been interested in for years. I now have the position of where he was killed and the action in which he was involved. He was attached to the 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment and killed on the 26th July 1916 in Munster Alley (correction!). I have found some reference to the trench but was wondering if anyone could add for me either a trenchmap / air photo close to the time of his death.

Cheers

Jim

Jim

The following maps are from September, a little later, but do show the trench named and it was in the same place on earlier maps. As they are from Linesman, I have added the modern position of the trench, possible using this indispensable (for me now anyway) bit of software. Firstly a wider view to get your bearings

post-28845-1234626976.jpg

Now a closer view

post-28845-1234627048.jpg

Here's where it runs today. Looks a big hard to get to the exact spot.

post-28845-1234627127.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

Jim

Jim, you may already know this, so apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but Vol III of the Australian OH (CEW Bean), from page 606 onwards, has a superb decription of a bomb fight which took place in Munster Alley on the date in question.

It started with the Welch, and was 'bought into' by the 5th Australian Bde (particularly the 17th and 18th Battalions). In a fight lasting 12 and a half hours, over 15,000 bombs were thrown by the Empire forces involved. makes interesting 9and awe-inspiring) reading. probably available on-line from the AWM if you don't have it.

Thankyou very much, i am afraid i don´t know very much about the bombfight at all. Untill earlier this week Cavereley Bewicke was a name i had be i en kicking around for years. When i was about 12 i used to garden for his sister, she was an old bird then. She gave me his notebook and a couple of. I remember her telling me that they knew very little about his last action and that he has no grave. So this is great, i plan to go and visit the somme and Ypres later this year as i have 4 or 5 lads and places that warrant a visit...

Thanks for the reference i shall try and get a copy.

Cheers

Jim