Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Jandarma

Guest richpics5174

Guest richpics5174

Hi there,

I've gotten most of the info on the Allies and the Turkish regulars at Gallipoli - the 19th Div (57,72,77th Alay) under Mustapha Kemal and the 9th (25,26,27th Alay) under Khalil Sami Bey, though I'm still actually looking for the composition of the Bulair Force (5th and 7th Divs - though from the Patton accounts and others they included the 17,21, 33, 64th Alay, right?) but another part of the Turkish defense escapes me and has not been referred to much at all - the Gendarmes w/c are mentioned in passing quite a number of times but with very little reference to their strength, composition, units, organization. I was wondering if anyone would know anything about this particularly for the period of the April landings. I know they were covering the Suvla area of coastline but that's about all that's mentioned ever.

Thanks,

Richard Picton

P.S.

Did I get the Turkish titles right? Ordu for Corps, Tumen for Division, Alay for Regiment?

Rich,

Unfortunately I dont have the related book here but I will try to find some info when I find time.

Ordu = Army

Kolordu = Corps

Tümen = Division

Alay = Regiment

Tabur = Battalion

Bölük = Company

Müfreze = Platoon

Manga = Squad

Ozgur

Guest richpics5174

So... would anyone have info on the organization of the Turkish Jandarma and their Bulair forces (5th and 7th Divisions) for the April landings?

thanks,

Richard