• 2 weeks later...

...maybe not........please PM me and I will send you my e-mail address

Andy

:rolleyes:

Topically the 'Scherpenberg' is very close to thr 'Kemmelberg'

So information can be lost there ...

Gilbert Deraedt

Oh for Gawd's sake...

49th Division were in deep reserve in the area Busseboom-Brandhoek on 25 April, the day the German attack kicked the French off Kemmelberg and pushed on the slopes of the Scherpenberg.

A counter attack was mounted early on 26 April, in which the left flank was covered by 147 and 149 Brigades (north of Kemmel, on the Cheapside Line, across the Kemmelbeek and Klein Kemmelbeek). This attack was a dismal failure. The Division then continued to hold this line.

During the battle of the Scherpenberg on 29 April, the Division played a supporting role (in same location) while French units made a successful attack north of Loker, which pushed the enemy back away from the Scherpenberg and straightened the line.

Hope that helps.

Oh for Gawd's sake...

49th Division were in deep reserve in the area Busseboom-Brandhoek on 25 April, the day the German attack kicked the French off Kemmelberg and pushed on the slopes of the Scherpenberg.

A counter attack was mounted early on 26 April, in which the left flank was covered by 147 and 149 Brigades (north of Kemmel, on the Cheapside Line, across the Kemmelbeek and Klein Kemmelbeek). This attack was a dismal failure. The Division then continued to hold this line.

During the battle of the Scherpenberg on 29 April, the Division played a supporting role (in same location) while French units made a successful attack north of Loker, which pushed the enemy back away from the Scherpenberg and straightened the line.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for that piece of information .How do you know so much.

Sorry Chris, I didn't pick this one up because Andy seemed to have it covered. The map I have giving general positions of the various Divisions and Brigades on the 25th shows 147 Bde. S.W. of Poperinghe, confirming your details above. Look forward to reading your book.

Walsh, take a look a the two blue lines at the bottom of Chris's reply, there's your answer.

Keith

Sorry Chris, I didn't pick this one up because Andy seemed to have it covered. The map I have giving general positions of the various Divisions and Brigades on the 25th shows 147 Bde. S.W. of Poperinghe, confirming your details above. Look forward to reading your book.

Walsh, take a look a the two blue lines at the bottom of Chris's reply, there's your answer.

Keith

Thank you point taken.

Also thanks from me for this, I believe one of my Wheldrake lads was injured in this action, later to DOW

Thanks also to SotonMate, who pointed me in the direction of this thread

Dianne