Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pt. 5696 Thomas Mason - 1st Bn. Cheshire Regiment

GrahamC

Thomas Mason was killed at Audregnies on 24 August 1914 during the Cheshire's stand in the Retreat from Mons. He is buried in Elouges Communal Cemetery, Sp. Mem. A.7.

His headstone carries a citation for the DCM, but I can find no reference to this award in Crookenden or in Field Marshall French's despatch of 15 January 1915. I suppose he could have won the Medal during the Boer War - can anyone help with information about this brave soldier.

I am currently working on a website to commemorate all of the 1st Battalion fallen who would have qualified for the "Mons Star" so any contributions from all of you experts out that would be great.

Many thanks

Graham

Graham

Can't help with your specific query but, as possible general help for your project, I have a number of 1/Cheshire men on my website as follows (link to site in my signature). Feel free to blag whatever you need - when you have your website running a credit as to where you found the info would be good - but by no means essential if it doesnt suit(I'm not precious about my information).

William Bartlett

Luke Bradley

John Burkill

Joseph McGarry

George Allman

Walter Lally

John Mott

Harry Poole

Joseph owen

John Firth

John Flanagan

Robert McDonald

William McVeety

Ernest Richardson

John Feeney

William Jones

William McCann

Same Whiteley

John Thompson

• 5 months later...

Have you by any chance got a list of all those 1st Cheshire men from Stockport who were killed at Audregnies?

jerry

Few more names from the same date Cheshires.

Hope this helps. Can get MICs if you require.

Atnomis.

Pvt J Glynn

Birth: unknown

Death: Aug. 24, 1914

10278 Cheshire Regiment Age Unknown A. 3.

Pvt E L Lucas

8649 Cheshire Regiment Age Unknown B. 18

Pvt T Mountford

thomasmountford.jpg

Birth: see below

7317 Cheshire Regiment Age Unknown A. 9.

Birth: Nov. 24, 1881

Cheshire, England

Mons, Belgium

Enlisted into Cheshire Regiment 1st Battalion 10/12/1903 - short service at Chester, transferred to Section B Army Reserve 28/1/1907, Killed in Action 24/8/1914.

Served with the Colours, 10/12/1903 - 24/8/1914

Overseas Service, India - 20/9/1904 - 25/1/1907.

British Expeditionary Force, France 14/8/1914 - 24/8/1914.

Medals issued 1914. Star British War Medal. Victory Medal

Buried in a communal cemetery in Belgium AUDREGNIES, Row A Grave 9

On enlistment he declared

Age 25 years 2 months

Trade Fustian Cutter

Height 5ft 7inchs. Complexion Fresh. Eyes Grey. Hair Brown.

Address 74 John St, Biddulph, Staffs

Family links:

Children:

Thomas Mountford (1911 - 1912)

Gladys Mountford Jackson (1913 - 2004)

Pvt R Williams

7510 Cheshire Regiment Age Unknown A. 4.

Pvt J York

7249 Cheshire Regiment Age Unknown A. 13.

Mic for T Mason

tmason.jpg

Name: Thomas Mason

Birth Place: Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancs

Residence: Chester

Death Date: 24 Aug 1914

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion.

Number: 5696

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theater of War: Aldershot

Comments: D.C.M

24th August At 3 a.m. 'C' & 'D' Coys rejoined 'A' & 'B' Coys

At 8 a.m. The Manchester Regt. relieved us.

At 10 a.m. The Battalion marched to Dour Station arriving there at 11.45 a.m.

11.45 a.m. The G.O.C. 5th Division gave Col Ballard, Norfolk Regt, orders to take the Cheshire Regt, Norfolk Regt and 119th Battery and take up a position N. West along the Elouges - Audregnies road and act as a flank guard to the Manchesters and the troops entrenched round Wasmes in their retirement.

1.00 p.m. In position Norfolk right on the Railway Embankment. Cheshire right on the 4th Kilo stone. 'D' Coy Cheshire left, 'D' Coy holding the village of Audregnies - Order of Coys 'B', 'A', 'C' 'D'.

Masses of the enemy were seen moving out of Quievrain and their artillery and machine guns opened a very hot fire on the Infantry and Cavalry and R.H.A. who were operating against the German Cavalry in the valley 1¼ miles to the S.E. of Quievrain.

2.30 p.m. I am informed Col Ballard gave orders for all troops to retire in an Easterly direction - these orders never reached the 2 front platoons of 'D' Coy under command of Capt W S Rich, who held on to the position he had reached in front of the line till 4 p.m. by which hour all troops had retired.

Lieut W G R Elliot behaved with great gallantry in returning during the retirement and carrying away a wounded man under intensely hot fire, he being shot through ankles when within 3 yards of the sunken road to which he eventually took this man - Lt Elliot was left on the field (witness Corporal Oford, 1/Cheshire Regt)

4.45 p.m. About 100 men were collect in Athis

1.00 p.m. At roll call in Bivouac at Les Bavay there were 6 Officers, a Warrant Officer and 199 men - The strength marching out at 7.30 a.m. on the morning of 24th inst was 27 Officers, 1 Warrant Officer and 933 men - A loss of 78% most of which was caused in the withdrawal.

Attached is Field Return A B 213 giving names of Officers Reported Killed, Wounded or Missing in the actions of Aug 24th & 26th.

25th August 2.0 a.m. Left Les Bavay and marched to Le Cateau thence to bivouac at La Sotiere at 3 p.m. (24 miles). ‘A’ Coy in the trenches till 3.30 a.m. 26th inst.

26th August 3. 0 a.m. Stood to arms at 3.0 a.m. – reserve Battalion to the15th Brigade in position ½ mile East of Troisville

6.0 a.m. Action commenced – Battalion used in reserve and covered the retirement of the remainder of the Brigade and the K.O.S.B.s – Heavily shelled in the withdrawal in the direction of Marets – shooting of the German Artillery magnificent though few casualties.

5.0 p.m. Retirement ordered.

Might give some more names

cheers

Atnomis

http://grandadswar.mrallsophistory.com/aug_died.html

Thanks Atnomis

This is a page from my (as yet UNFINISHED) website which looks at the deaths and burials and the lives of the all the original 1st Bn Cheshires.

Hopefully site will be updated soon

Graham

<_< HOWEVER ....

..... still don't know why he got his DCM!!

Graham

Phoned Chester Castle today.

No one could help, so sending out a information request for the researcher to have a look.

Might take some time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Atnomis/Simon

Hi Simon

:D That's very good of you to take so much trouble, I really do appreciate it. I am (as you may guess) trying to build a website to commemorate all my grandad's mate's from the BEF 1st Bn. who fell in the War. Any extra snippets all add to the overall picture of the man - more than just a name.

Cheers

Graham

Have you by any chance got a list of all those 1st Cheshire men from Stockport who were killed at Audregnies?

jerry

Hi Jerry

:blink: Sorry mate, missed your post - you can find all the names on my website (unfinished) - here

Graham

Here is 7451 Pte Josph Jones' name on the Cenotpah here in Runcorn.... You have him on your site :D

More

Runcorn Cenotaph

post-42493-1248694363.jpg

post-42493-1248694435.jpg

post-42493-1248694505.jpg

been looking all day.

Im off all week so I pop into Chester and ask at the museum.

Im puzzeled.

Have had a better look and he was mentioned in Earl Roberts' despatch (Boer War) on 10 Sept 1901 - here

His DCM was confirmed in the Gazette dated 27 Sept 1901 - here

But would still like to know what he did to get it. <_<

Graham

Lets hope the story unfolds.

Great work.

Boer War ...I have a book some were I will try and dig it out.

Great work on the web site.

It will be great names and faces of the 1st that gave for our tomorrow.

Cheers

Atnomis/Simon

Guest pmcd404

I'm Peter McDonald of Palm Harbor, Florida. I believe the Robert McDonald mentioned below is my grandfather. He was killed on October 22nd 1914. His son (my father) James was born January 31st 1914. Any information you can give me, or direct me to, would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Can't help with your specific query but, as possible general help for your project, I have a number of 1/Cheshire men on my website as follows (link to site in my signature). Feel free to blag whatever you need - when you have your website running a credit as to where you found the info would be good - but by no means essential if it doesnt suit(I'm not precious about my information).

William Bartlett

Luke Bradley

John Burkill

Joseph McGarry

George Allman

Walter Lally

John Mott

Harry Poole

Joseph owen

John Firth

John Flanagan

Robert McDonald

William McVeety

Ernest Richardson

John Feeney

William Jones

William McCann

Same Whiteley

John Thompson

Peter

I believe this to be your Man.

Name: Robert McDonald

Birth Place: St. James, Stockport, Cheshire

Residence: Stockport

Death Date: 22 Oct 1914

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion.

Number: 5771

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theater of War: Aldershot

5.10 a.m. Enemy made heavy attack, and took the trenches at the point of the bayonet. Battalion retired to RUE DU MARAIS under very heavy fire. Manchesters came up in support.

8.0 p.m. Battalion withdrawn and went in bivouac at last E of RUE DE BETHUNE.

Casualties: Captains Shore, Rich, Hartford, 2/Lieuts Atkinson, Leicester, Greenhalgh missing, Captain Forster, 18 N.C.O.s & men wounded, 200 N.C.O.s & men missing including Sergeant Major.

http://grandadswar.mrallsophistory.com/oct_died.html#22_oct

Name: McDONALD, ROBERT

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 22/10/1914

Service No: 5771

Additional information: Husband of Catherine McDonald (nee Fallon).

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 13.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Any information you can give me, or direct me to, would be greatly appreciated.

With pleasure

Link to my website page

In one of those "small world" things, four other Stockport men were killed that day serving with the Battalion and I know a descendent of one of them (William McVeety)

John

Graham

One of the soldiers on your website William Massey is in the book "Moreton and Districts Patriots by Stephen McGreal

There is a photo of him on the page

"William Massey Private 7049 1/Cheshire Regiment

William Massey was a native of Moreton, the eldest son of Mr and Mrs John Massey, who had two other sons, Louis and Sydney. The family resided in Smithy Lane. (now Netherton rd. When William married Martha Elizabeth they also resided in Smithy Lane. They later had a couple of children

Private Massey was posted as missing at Mons in October 1914. His family preferred to think of him as a German prisoner of war......the following year on the 29th May Mrs Massey was devastated by the arrival of War Pensions forms from the War office. The distress was prolonged until October 1915 when her husband was officially confirmed as killed in action. Private Massey had in fact been killed on 24th October the previous year, Private Massey has no known grave..........at Christ Church a headstone records the death of thirty year old William Massey and his brother in law Private Joe Evans. the headstone inscription states Private Massey was killed 23rd August This date is incorrect and should read the 24th August. This has been confirmed in several archives

Caryl

Here is his MIC

Cheers

Atnomis

Thanks everyone for a wonderful response. There was some comment about him having previously served in the Army (due to his early enlistment date) and many years ago there was talk amongst the family elders of letters Robert McDonald sent from South Africa. The letters were supposed to contain a gem of local gossip to the effect the Victor Maglaglen', (a supposed relative, or the actual Hollywood movie star), was not in South Africa, contrary to what was reported back in Stockport. Is there any way to find out if Robert McDonald did serve previously in The Boer War?

• 4 months later...
:rolleyes: Just bringing this out for a fresh airing ....

Thanks Steve - all contributions gratefully received. I haven't got round to completing Ypres yet - but it will happen, one day!! See - here

Cheers

Graham