Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W R Roberts Cheshire Regiment

droberts

I have a WR Roberts shown as wounded in a newspaper list (provided by Steve Fuller) from Sept 17th 1915 in Gallipoli. I think that this man is my Grandad. all the other men on the list are from 1/4 cheshires.

I have done a search of the MIC's and come up with a second WR Roberts No 4227, 15101, 243986. I wsh to eliminate the possibilility that this man is the WR Roberts listed.

Can anyone advise me as to which Cheshire battalion this man belonged from his service numbers.

regards

David

David

Second man is William R Roberts and I think you can probably eliminate him if your interest is 1915. His MIC makes no mention of date of entry which means he wasnt entitled to a 14/15 Star.

From his service numbers, my deduction would be that he joined a non-Territorial unit in September 1914 and was given the service number 15101. He may have gone overseas in 1916 but it is impossible to say unless you find his service papers. At some point, towards the very end of 1916, he is assigned to a Territorial battalion and given a new number (4227) . This is, almost certainly, the 5th Battalion as his final number, 243986, is one associated with it.

John

David

Second man is William R Roberts and I think you can probably eliminate him if your interest is 1915. His MIC makes no mention of date of entry which means he wasnt entitled to a 14/15 Star.

From his service numbers, my deduction would be that he joined a non-Territorial unit in September 1914 and was given the service number 15101. He may have gone overseas in 1916 but it is impossible to say unless you find his service papers. At some point, towards the very end of 1916, he is assigned to a Territorial battalion and given a new number (4227) . This is, almost certainly, the 5th Battalion as his final number, 243986, is one associated with it.

John

John,

Thanks for that. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldnt the first number issued to this wr roberts have been 4227 followed by 15101 followed by 243986. i'm pretty sure that was the sequence shown on the MIC. I wasnt aware that the theatre of entry addition ceased after 1915, and as you conclude, that would eliminate him as a possibility.

So it looks as if it is a strong probability that it is my wr roberts that is mentioned as wounded. We know that he was hospitalised at some point in Alexandria but we were unsure as to whether it was from service in gallipoli or later in egypt/pallestine. This suggests that he was first injured in Gallipoli. He was assigned to the pay corps in 1918 (we believe) because he was subsequently injured in Pallestine.

best regards

David