Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this cap?

brodie

Hello brodie,

The cap is a Glengarry and the badge is Cameron Highlanders. Seems to have a feather so maybe a piper?

Regards

Tocemma

I agree it looks to be a Cameron Highlanders badge and I would hazard a guess at him being a Piper.

R

It is a glengarry and does look to be like a Cameron Highlanders badge although I am not 100% confident on the latter.

The hackles are usually associated with pipers as has been mentioned.

There is something a bit odd about the glengary however. It does not seem to me to be the standard WWI pattern with which I am familiar. The Band (silk/leather wrapping at the base of the cap) is VERY broad. I don't know if this is a variation associated with a particular regiment but I am not sure I have seen it before.

Chris

Several Regiments wore a Glengarry with a broad band, H.L.I. and Cameron's being a couple, I think also the Royal Scots, but not sure on that one. A quick perousal though this forum will definately show a few photos to such effect.

The feathers are feathers, not hackles (small soft and curly) or plumes. Black watch pipers wore black and white feathers like the picked piper, I wonder if they wore the red hackles when in B.D. or S.D. or No 2s.

Cpl. piper Fraser, played by John Fraser, and the other pipers also wore a glengarry with broad band in that grand film, although it was post WW2.

Alan

Edit 13/02/09:-Well there was a photo of a piper with feathers on the forum yesterday, but gone today.

Hello,

Just a quick one, the pipers of the Black Watch never wore any feathers with there Glengarrys. {apart from the old 5th Volunteer Battalion pre1908}

Black Watch pipers wore the Red Hackle on the Feather Bonnet and if and when they wore the Khaki bonnet. The hackle was also worn on the solar topee/pith helmet.

I have an example of the Cameron Highlanders pipers Glengarry. It dates from WW1. I will dig it out and post a photo later.

Regards,

Stewart

Thank you all very much for your replies - the concensus seems to be Cameron Highlanders, perhaps pre WW1 and probably a piper. I'll pass that on to the photo owner.

Oooh, Never say never.

A picture which showed a Black Watch piper with feathers has gone astray, but this LINK TO PHOTO to a photo from the Black Watch

museum "appears" to show a pipe major (Black Watch?, too late to think about/check collar badges) with feathers in his Glengarry, and five tassles on his sporran.

A search around the web shows that the following regiments wear/wore the Blackcock hackle, but so many items and many contradictions, so not definative:-

Royal Scots pipers

Gordon Highalnders pipers

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders pipers

KOSB pipers

Royal Regiment of Scotland pipers

Liverpool Scottish

London Scottish pipers

Alan

Edited by Ghost

Alan, he is not wearing a feather, there is not even any sign of one. Where can you see it?

In the hundreds of photo's of the Black Watch I have seen I have never seen on of the Pipes and Drums wearing a feather or hackle with the Glengarry bonnet. As I mentioned above only the 5th Volunteer battalion [1887-1908] and possibly there perdecessors in the Perthshire Highland Rifle Volunteers, wore the Blackcock feather in the Glengarry. But never any of the regular or Territorial Battalions from our period.

Regards,

Stewart

• 5 years later...

Cameron Highlanders badge but the Cameron pipers wore a single eagle feather and not blackcock feathers.

A pre 1896 Glengarry for the Welsh Regiment with a very wide silk band. Perhaps of some relevance to this discussion.

post-91897-0-97842800-1418673076_thumb.j