Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12/1637 CPL Ralph Giles

Fromelles

Could anyone give me any information on the above soldier?

All I know is he came from England and died on the 8th August 1915 at Chunuk Bair, Gallipoli.

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers,

Dan

Wales.... sorry my mistake

I've seen the CWGC site, and know he's got a file at the NZ Archives but am not prepaired to pay to access it, too spoilt here in OZ

No, I haven't seen his 'Medal Card'

I haven't researched anyone outside the AIF before, so don't really know where to start or what's out there. I have a small collection of NZers and Brits that I need to find out about, so any ideas where I should be looking from anyone more knowledgeable would be great.

Cheers

Dan

Dan

Cenatoph Database at the Auckland War Memorial Museum will give you basic information at least on New Zealanders

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/c...4&Ordinal=1

For British - the normal routes initially after CWGC are Soldiers Died in the Great War - many on here have it on CD - it is available also on Find My Past and Ancestry (though with many errors on the latter)

Ancestry has some service/pension records (many didn't survive WW2 bombing in London and not all have gone on there yet) and Medal Index Cards - again not all have been put up on there though - they can be downloaded though from National Archives website - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ - along with other documents

Census records/shipping records are also on offer on the commercial sites.

All of these options are unfortunately going to cost unless you ask folks on here with memberships to the commercial sites to look them up for you.

Posting names and details of what you have on here is often worthwhile - you may get very little you may get multitudes. If they were officers there might be mentions in The Times online (free with some library memberships here in Australia - and actually many libraries have Ancestry access too come to think of it - so you might be able to check that out yourself) and you can download De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour and a number of town, city and university Roll of Honour publications through http://www.archive.org/index.php

Google can sometimes be your friend too especially if someone you are researching is remembered on a War Memorial that has been researched or has descendants who have put up family history type info

These are just a few suggestions - I'm sure others will come up with many more - but be aware we are spoilt rotten down here - it isn't going to be anywhere near as easy to research as the Australians

Good Luck

Sue

This may assist. Looks like he was killed during the offensive.

Full NameActing Corporal Ralph Giles

Rank Last HeldActing Corporal

Forename(s)Ralph

SurnameGiles

WarWorld War I, 1914-1918

Serial No.12/1637

First Known RankPrivate

Next of KinWilliam Charles Giles (brother), Tymawa, Pontymister, Wales

Marital StatusSingle

Enlistment AddressTe Whare, Victoria Street, Hamilton, New Zealand

Military DistrictAuckland

Body on Embarkation3rd Reinforcements

Embarkation UnitAuckland Infantry Battalion

Embarkation Date14 February 1915

TransportHMNZT 17

HMNZT 18

HMNZT 19

VesselMaunganui or Tahiti or Aparima

Page on Nominal Roll263

Last Unit ServedAuckland Infantry Regiment

Place of DeathGallipoli, Turkey

Date of Death8 August 1915

Year of Death1915

Cause of DeathKilled in action

Further ReferencesSearch http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz for information about this person's Military Personnel File. Use the Simple Search option.

Sources UsedNominal Rolls of New Zealand Expeditionary Force Volume I. Wellington: Govt. Printer, 1914-1919

• 4 weeks later...

I thank you all for your efforts

Dan

Dan

Would you like a photo of his name on the Chunuk Bair Memorial ?

Send me a PM if you require it

Peter

• 10 months later...
Guest Martyn Giles

All I know is he came from England and died on the 8th August 1915 at Chunuk Bair, Gallipoli.

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Martyn Giles

Cheers,

Dan

• Admin

Martyn

I imagine you are running into problems replying and posting- best way is to click fast reply at the foot of the thread instead of the "reply button.

Michelle

• 1 month later...

Dan

Surname GILES

Given Name Ralph

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 12/1637

Rank Private

Body or Draft Third

Unit or Regiment Auckland Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Te Whare Victoria St Hamilton

Next of Kin Title William Charles

Next of Kin Surname GILES

Next of Kin Relationship Brother

Next of Kin Address Tymawa Pontymister South Wales

Source: Nominal Roll

Richard Stowers in his book Bloody Gallipoli the New Zealanders' Story lists your man as being one of 84 Auckland infantry Battalion killed on Sunday, 8 August 1915. Stowers describes him as follows: “Giles, Ralph; 12/1637 Cpl, AIB; 3R; KIA 8.8.15 at the Apex, aged 44 years; NOK B: William Charles Giles, Tymawa,Pontymister , South Wales; son of George Charles and Ann Giles, Manor house, Risca , Newport, Wales; Chunuk Bair Memorial (9)” PG 309

Zack