Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Bn Welsh Fuslilers

huwrevans

Hi,

Can anyone provide more information on the fall of Kemmel in April 1918. My great uncle Fred Mitchell was KIA on 18th. My other great uncle Stanley Reginald Protheroe I assume was serving alongside. Whilst my grandfather was in the area with 121 or 122 Bde RFA. History of the 38 Div (Munby) gives some insight to the movement of the guns during the German offensive and subsequent counter attack, but I'd be gratefull if someone could point me in the direction of more information in respect of the Fusiliers.

My main thrust currently is to research my grandfather but getting the bigger picture will help and give me somewhere else to research in the future when I can.

Any help gratefully accepte. Regards Huw

Huw

War Diary for the 9RWF (58 Bde/19 Division) is at Kew under WO95/2092 and runs from Jul 1915 to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate

The Regimental records states they had been in the line in the Battle of Bailleul, and were relieved on the night of the 18/19th of april, just before the Second Kemmel Ridge Battle. There had been heavy shelling of RWF positions just before the relief.

/Lars

Hi Sotonmate,

Thanks for that, Will have to order some more pages (already got the first 10 of each Arty Bde of the 38th).

I'm looking at the 38Div at the moment, but I take it the 19th was in the line N of 38 div in April? Though letters in Munby's diary suggest the Bde arty supported 25th Div in late April and also the 34th Div from 9-21 April. Any thoughts?

I've not much chance of getting to Kew. But if I could, do they let you look at the war diaries and select pages to copy? On experience it's a bit of a lucky dip when you ask for 10 pages (or is it just me?) because they may include inserts and messages etc - not just the diary. Plus any maps etc would be great. So I expect you can't beat going through it in person due to the amount of information available.

Regards

Huw

Huw

War Diary for the 9RWF (58 Bde/19 Division) is at Kew under WO95/2092 and runs from Jul 1915 to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate