Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/10th london regiment war diaries

herbie4798

hi all, im hoping to get to kew in the near future and want to get war diaries for 1/10th london regiment. 54th division 162nd brigade. i have got reference w095/4325 but when i got on it there are only dates oct to dec 1915. with nov missing! i know there is more diaries because i have 1 from the 19/4/17 which was given to me from a kind forum member. where are the rest of the diaries? does someone know which maze of numbers they could be hiding in? hope someone can help.

best regards james

James

If the NA say they are missing it means just that - either they have gone to some strange brown box cemetery in the sky or (and this is likely) they are in another box. They from time to time 'find' missing diaries; I was looking at some in October which had only been 'found' in 2008. It is all a question of someone going through a box, finding the diaries that do not belong and handing them in. Now if they are in WO95/123 it could be some time before someone finds them (it contains the carrier pigeon and dog section diaries! :rolleyes: )

4325 is actually available online so that means you would not have been given the box at Kew. The 1917 ones are also online.

If you really need November 1915 you will have to look towards Museum, maybe the Hackney museum holds a copy.

Jim

thanks jim. im hoping to get to hackney museum next week as it goes. i have found the reference for the rest of the diaries, 1916-1919. if there online does that mean i cant see them in original form at kew?

james

Yes James. If you order those boxes they will just tell you to log on and download them. Or at least they did me - someone else on here may know better, maybe they just need persuading! I'm also not sure whether if you download them at Kew you can take a copy away - I don't think you have access to USB ports etc. and printing is all to A3. <_<

Jim

The War Diaries are split up depending on Theatre of War, hence up to December 1915 they are under "Gallipoli", and therafter under "Egypt and Palestine"

WO 95/4325 162 Infantry Brigade: 1/10 Battalion London Regiment (Hackney). Entries for the month of November 1915 are missing. 1915 Oct. - Dec.

WO 95/4654 1/10 Battalion London Regiment (Hackney) 1916 Jan. 1919 Sept.

162nd Infantry Brigade HQ are under:

WO 95/4325 162 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters. 1915 Aug. - Dec.

WO 95/4652 162 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters 1916 Jan. - 1918 Dec.

WO 95/4653 Headquarters 1919 Jan. - Sept.

The 1915 diaries were online only, 1916 - 1918 were in a box when I accessed them.

Bung me your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do about the 162nd Brigade HQ war diaries.

207mb in total so no promises!!

Steve.

Let me know if you got the 1st e-mail, James.

Steve.