Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How do I search the Archives at Kew?

fortuna

I have a friend going to Kew who has offered to do a search for me at Kew.

But she needs to know the box number. I have been on to the Kew website

and find it as clear as mud. The soldier is:

Joseph Morrison Ferguson Born 1893 Pitsligo Aberdeenshire.

From his Medal Index card he was in the

Royal Fusiliers number 29812

and the

Scottish Light Infantry number 40955.

The only other information I have is D (or B)/104 BM 1351

do do

He was a Private and died 15 July 1917 at

Nieuport Flanders Belgium

That is all the information I can find. If someone can help me

find the appropriate "box" number from the website that she has

asked for I would be so grateful,

Thank you,

Just to be clear, are you wanting to look at the information contained in a unit war diary for the period leading up to 15th July, ie the circumstances of Joseph Ferguson's death? Or are you wanting some other type of information?

The date and location of Joseph's death suggest a link to Operation Strandfest, when the Germans attacked the Nieuport salient on the preceding 10th July. You can read about this event here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/hush.htm

Robert

I think what your friend refers to as the box number is probably the WO reference for his service records (if they exist) in -

WO 363 Soldiers' Documents, First World War 'Burnt Documents' (Microfilm Copies).

The Microfilm which should contain his records is I believe -

WO 363/F 120 Ferguson John M - Ferguson Leonard.

These records should be available on line at www.ancestry.co.uk.

John

researcher

The reference you quote is to the original Medal Rolls in the series WO329/---- at Kew. It could be guessed what you mean by D/?104BM 1351 (this last number is the page we seek). This is key to the finding of his Medal Roll as it is cross-referred in an index book which then reveals the correct WO329 ledger to look in.

So,you could either post a copy of the MIC here or re-affirm with some certainty what is shown against the medal issues on the card.

Sotonmate

Edit: The other thing I meant to say was that I couldn't find this soldier on the War Graves website,no J M Ferguson killed on 15.7.1917 when I searched ! It is,of course,also worth looking in WO363 to see if his record survived,as suggested.

Here he is in CWGC records (with a probable error on his service number)

Linky link

Another case with search engines where less is more. I searched simply on "Ferguson" and 1917. Then sorted the list by date of death

There may be details of what happened in WO 95/2393. Occasionally, the war diaries will have sufficient information to give a clearer idea. Very rarely, a soldier may be mentioned by name. It all depends on the quality of the information entered into the diary, which varies hugely.

Robert

Here he is in CWGC records (with a probable error on his service number)

Linky link

Another case with search engines where less is more. I searched simply on "Ferguson" and 1917. Then sorted the list by date of death

Yes that is him with an extra 5 on his number.

So if I give my friend the M I Card and WO 363 (Burnt docs) and WO 363/F 120 Ferguson John M - Ferguson Leonard. She might be on the right track?

What I would like is of course his army records ie. attestment, where he went and what he did etc. I do realise I would have to very lucky to find anything.

Thank you for your help,

post-24522-1233962236.jpg

If it is the medal roll D/?104BM 1351 you are looking, going from the number 1351 D/104/16-18? page 1351, you will get WO329/1636 pages 1245-1555.

Thank you very much,

Researcher

You should also suggest that your friend looks in WO 364/1194 (Name: Ferguson, James - Ferguson, Sylvester) and WO 364/5197 (Name: Felstead, Ernest H - Ferguson, William M). It is not unknown for the records for dead soldiers to be found in the pension records.

Yes & he would have to order WO329/1636 pages 1245-1555, to get the the medal roll. There is no Vol 17 at the NA, the page falls into 16/18.

Thank you all. I will pass this on and keep fingers crossed,

Researcher

Will let you know the outcome.

There is no Vol 17 at the NA, the page falls into 16/18.

I assume 17 comes between 16 and 18.