Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 2nd bn

billy201

Hi there I am trying tp f[nd out about Corporal Alexander Reid s/n19072 2nd bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. .I think he was killed on the 29/9/1918. I have seen somwhere that he won the D C M. But I dont see that on the C W G C. site. I am also trying to find out where he was born and enlisted also where he was living. at the time of his enlistment. thanking you all the best yours Inniskilling :rolleyes:

REID, ALEXANDERInitials:ANationality:United KingdomRank:CorporalRegiment/Service:Royal Inniskilling FusiliersUnit Text:2nd Bn.Age:40Date of Death:29/09/1918Service No:19072Additional information:Son of George and Elizabeth Reid, of Annaginney, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Panel 70 to 72.Wesley Wright

Hi there Dez. thanks once again. for that. I can take it I have the right man. in l/cpl Reid I had seen somewhere that he had won the D C M . Thanks to your good self I have now found out that he was a menber of the order in Balymena. and also in scotland. All the very best. Yours Inniskilling

Inniskilling - are you working off lodge rolls of honour? As far as I know, the Alexander Reid in my picture did not die.

There is an Alexander Reid listed on the war memorial in Dungannon:

http://www.ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/dungannon.html

And also the same man appears to be on the Derry memorial (but with a different number):

http://www.diamondwarmemorial.com/soldiers/view/1023

Both are Inniskillings. Not sure if this helps or adds to the confusion...?

Swizz

Inniskilling,

The only A.Reid of the Inniskillings who got the DCM was L/Cpl 17914.

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. After his machine gun had jammed, and although himself wounded, he corrected the stoppage and opened fire on a strong enemy raiding party, driving them off at a critical time'. [17/4/17 date of gazette].

No Reid listed, in 36th Ulster Division History medal rolls, winning the DCM.

This man went to France 2/6/1915 so would not be Ulster Division.

Rob

Hi there Rob thanks a lot for that. I am still having trouble with this guy , but hope to get it sorted soon. all the best yours Inniskilling ;)

Rob and Inniskilling ... convinced that the Reid in my pic is the one on gazette 17/4/17 .. his act of gallantry was February 25, 1917.

Des,

Yes it should be your man as the DCM roll for the Inniskillings says just the one A.Reid. Dates are good.

Not sure what he would have been in, going over on the 2/6/1915.

Replacement for a regular Btn?

Rob

• 2 years later...

The Orange Standard June 1917

'A Gallant Orangeman - 17914 Lance-Corporal Alex. Reid, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers has been awarded the DCM for gallantry in the field. He won the decoration for driving off a raiding party with his machine gun after he had been wounded, and had got his gun into action after it had jammed. Lance-Corporal Reid enlisted in Glasgow, where he was working on munitions. He has been in the firing line for almost two years, and prior to joining the colours was identified with the Orange Institution, and was a member of the Glasgow U.V.F.'

SDGW show

Born Dungannon

Enlisted Londonderry

KIA 29-09-18

Wull

Wull, for the benefit of a newbie, could you tell me what SDGW stands for because it seems to give the sort of information I'm looking for.

ex RN

Wull, for the benefit of a newbie, could you tell me what SDGW stands for because it seems to give the sort of information I'm looking for.

ex RN

SDGW--Soldiers Died in Great War--available on CD ROM or in book form--someone will know how many books their are!--also available on ancestry.com

Wesley Wright

SDGW--Soldiers Died in Great War--available on CD ROM or in book form--someone will know how many books their are!--also available on ancestry.com

Wesley Wright

Wull

Thanks.......another srcap of knowledge! My subject didn't die so that unfortunately closes that avenue.

ex RN

Fascinating stuff that, do the orange order have records of members who died?

Steven - now there is a thought ... could be a valuable source of information if the OO did have records. I have quite a few servicemen images of men in military uniform wearing OO/RBP regalia.

Inniskilling - I will check my 5,000+ (and growing) library of servicemen images from the BET for your man Reid. I also have some group company/battalion pictures relating to Irish regiments, if you are interested in having copies, drop me a PM. I could also give you a list of BET servicemen images for Irish regiments for you to review for any men that interest you.

NIgel

Nigel

I went to the orange order ghq yesterday, according to there historian the way to go his through the private lodge first and if they held office the headquarters will have something in some cases, my ggf wad in a lodge in sandy row so a guy is checking there minute books for me, a lot of lodges also had roll of honour certificates made as well