Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Distant Drum by F.E.Noakes

Mechanic

I feel I have exhausted every other avenue of research. I have searched high and low for a copy of this book but sadly no luck. Are there any lucky members with a copy of this book who may be able to look for some info?

My great grandfather, Trooper Matthew Kiddie 30239 died 19/12/1917, was with the Household Battalion November-December 1917. The author of the diaries was also with the battalion and luckily survived the war.

Is it possible to help with some info?

Are there any details of FE Noakes' journey from Windsor to Southampton then to the front line at Arras in October 1917?

Is there any specific info for the 19/12/1917?

Are there any details of the training in Combermere barracks Windsor mid 1917?

I know this is a long shot as this is a rare book so fingers crossed

Jason

Jason

In case nobody can helpm you out, it might be worthwhile dropping an email to the relative of the author who has published extracts on this site:

http://www.carolenoakes.co.uk/ordinary.htm

Regards

Mel

Thanks for the link. I have tried the contact email but it rejects the message saying Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table??

I guess the address is no longer valid. Nice try

Jason

I have a copy as you say a scarce book i will dig it out and have a look

regards John

I have a copy as you say a scarce book i will dig it out and have a look

regards John

Many thanks. Mt main interest is details of locations and modes of transport. The 19th December particuarly interesting as my great grandfather died that day.

Any info gratefully received.

PM me if you want my email.

Jason

Hello, the training etc is covered in the first chapter 39 pages, and although a highly detailed account it is short on dates and names, however in the second chapter titled "in the trenches" he gives a detailed account of the period 10/24th december however he only mentions 2 men being killed on or about the 12/14th by minenwerfers.

He provides a very vivid description of the intense cold and of the general conditons, there was a trench raid by the germans on or about the 20/22nd but no casulaties are mentioned.

hope this helps

best regards John

Hello, the training etc is covered in the first chapter 39 pages, and although a highly detailed account it is short on dates and names, however in the second chapter titled "in the trenches" he gives a detailed account of the period 10/24th december however he only mentions 2 men being killed on or about the 12/14th by minenwerfers.

He provides a very vivid description of the intense cold and of the general conditons, there was a trench raid by the germans on or about the 20/22nd but no casulaties are mentioned.

hope this helps

best regards John

Thanks for looking John. Are there are any details of FEN's journey from Windsor to Arras or does he skip from training straight to the trenches?

regards

Jason

the jouney is covered in about 10 pages {Winsor to trenches}

Regards John

the jouney is covered in about 10 pages {Winsor to trenches}

Regards John

Can you give the details of the journey from windsor to arras? I am looking to confirm if he travelled directly from windsor to southampton by train, maybe which ship was use to le-havre. did he stop at harfleur depot? how did he get to the front via any other depots or towns?

Your help gratefully appreciated

Jason

by train via basingstoke, Ship was the SS Antrim {converted irish irish cargo boat}dismbarked at Le Havre marched to base camp at Harfleur left after a cople of days and marched to Arras

best regards John

by train via basingstoke, Ship was the SS Antrim {converted irish irish cargo boat}dismbarked at Le Havre marched to base camp at Harfleur left after a cople of days and marched to Arras

best regards John

The distance from Harfleur to Arras is around 150 miles. Is there any mention of a train? Surely they would have to march for a week to get that far.

Does it give the embarkation date?

Jason

• 11 months later...

To anyone interested in the book "The Distant Drum" by F.E.Noakes it is being re-issued sumer 2010. Details are below:

From email

Thanks for your note about THE DISTANT DRUM – yes, we will be re-issing the book next summer.

If you pass me your postal address I can add you to our mailing list so you can see when the book is available (and other similar memoirs).

With kind regards,

Michael Leventhal

Publisher

Frontline Books

5A Accommodation Road

London NW11 8ED

UK

Tel: +44 (0)208 455 5559

michael@frontline-books.com

info@frontline-books.com