Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is/was Arquata, Italy

OpsMajor

My grandfather was stationed with the RAOC at Arquata but I cannot find it on a current road map - would it have been near the CWGC cemetery at Arquata Scrivia north of Genova?

Krs

Mike

Hello Mike

Yes, it is the place about 20 mles north of Genoa. It was on one of the main railway routes and was, I believe, a base used by the British for depots, hospitals workshops and the like. That would explain why an AOC man was there.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Family rumour has it that he was involved in a court martial whilst there (as a witness for the prosecution I hasten to add!) - are these records available on line (sometime between late 1917 and early 1920) or any where?

Krs

Mike

Mike

Unless the court-martial resulted in an execution it is almost certain that the actual record has not survived. There are lists of men court-martialled in various WO classes at Kew (not online) but no other details as faras I know.

There might be references in books at the IWM - you might try the Dept of Documents and the Dept of Printed Books, but you may well need to visit them to consult any material they may have.

Ron

• 6 years later...

Hi Mike "OpsMajor"

I have just spotted your string and reference to your grandfather being in the RAOC and at Arquata Scrivia , north of Genoa. I also noted that you are located at South Northamptonshire.

I am currently researching Armt S/Sgt David T Spear No. 7579269 & 1464 & T/1730 of the R.A.O.C.. He was from Northampton and was in Arquata in 1917-1919. I have a great deal on him, but very little on him in Arquata. It just struck me - is he by any chance your grandfather?

I would be very interested to learn anything about Arquata and the RAOC there. Was the RAOC sent from there to the Battle of Piave?

All the best

Hussey

• 3 months later...

Sorry, Hussey, only just picked this one up. ...and a secomd apology that my grandfather was from Yorkshire - I just live down here.

Krs

Mike