Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camp Sites on the Somme

Guest Renmore

I am considering another trip to the Somme area this summer, my last being in 1989 for the re-dedication of the Ulster Tower and I was wondering if anyone out there has any information or advice on any camp sites in the areas for pitching a tent. The site I used back then was outside Albert but if you know of any others it would be appreciated.

The campsite in Albert was in the Velodrome. Is this the one that you used? A better one (but still pretty basic) can be found at Authuille, within sight of the Thiepval Memorial. This has been discussed previously on the forum. You should be able to find it using the "search" key.

Another, and in my opinion, the best in the area, can be found at Treaux (behind the lines, but in the battle zone for the '18 battles). This was the best for facilities and the guy who was running it (quite a few years ago) was the grandson of of a 1870-71 War Legion d'Honneur winner whose family had lived in the Chateau on the site (doubling both as his house and the camp site office) for generations. The house lost a wing in 1918 and was a German officer's accomodation during WW2. The owner remembered watching the trains laiden with Jews being transported along the tracks at the bottom of the campsite and recalls the resident Wehrmacht officer's apparent disgust and embarrasment at these spectacles!. He also showed me his Grandfathers medals, sword, photo album and other bits and pieces, and, to cap it all, gave me the remains of a British steel helmet found in the nearby river!

There are several others in the area, but I think they're all pretty basic and I cannot comment as I've only stayed at the 3 mentioned. I recall seeing one signposted near Courcelette? Maybe Paul can comment on this one.

Dave.